Home Remedies For Burns
Fire that can create warmth or those flames, which can crackle to cause mild to severe burns on the skin …the crux, lies in coping with the condition with a few essential home remedies for burns.
Burns home remedies – Home to natural healing
Burns caused due to fire are of three types the first degree or the mild burns affecting the epidermis or the outer layer of the skin; the second degree burns which involves both the dermis and the epidermis; whereas the third degree burns go deep under the skin causing damage to tissues, fat, blood vessels etc. Burns can surface as blisters, and both second and third degree burns which involve large areas and the sensitive parts of the body demand medical attention. Resorting to home remedies for a burn will be the first step towards faster and natural healing.
Effective home remedies for burns
• Honey, as the natural curative, plays a vital role in healing as well. Its healing properties have been applied since ancient times. Therefore, to treat a burn with honey, smear the affected area with a spoonful of honey, and leave it for some time, the fluids from the tissues automatically drain out creating a “sweet and sweeter” effect by helping the wound heal faster.
• Burns in the process of healing can become itchy. Take that oatmeal out of the kitchen cabinet, crumble it, and put a handful of the same in a bathtub of lukewarm water. Soak for about 15 – 30 minutes and air-dry. The oatmeal remnants on the skin ensure that itchiness subsides automatically.
• If you thought tea bags are just meant for dipping and serving you with the refreshment of the day, think again. Tea bags prove to be one of the popular home remedies for burns of first degree. Put 2 -3 bags in a bowl of boiling water, add a couple of fresh mint leaves to it. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool. Use cotton or sterile cloth, dip it in the concoction, and dab the affected area with it, 3- 4 times a day. The tannic acid present in tea is a “heat-buster,” meaning it helps to absorb the heat associated with burns.
• Ice cubes can work wonders when it comes to tongue burns. Suck on the ice cube and the cold temperature helps to get instant relief.
• Vinegar solution made out of equal quantities of water and vinegar is the best first aid for minor burns. Wash the affected area with the solution and get the benefit of the antiseptic properties of vinegar.
• Plantain leaves (the green weedy plant – plantago major) are nature’s home remedy for burns. Crush the leaves of the plantain and extract the juice. Apply the juice on the affected area 3 – 4 times a day to get relief from the symptoms. The leaves have constituents which exhibit anti-inflammatory, anti-hemorrhagic antimicrobial, and expectorant properties.
• Over and above, it is important to remember that prevention is always better than cure. So ensure to follow all the fire-safety precautions to avoid a fire breakout.
Points of caution
Second and third degree burns should be brought to the attention of a medical practitioner immediately, lest the severity causes complications. The home remedies mentioned above work well for minor first degree and second degree burns.
Fire, heat can thaw the ice but also burn at the same time, if exposed to for more than necessary. So be ready with the home remedies for burns, if you ever tend to cross the fire!
Photo Courtesy : home-remedies.br-pt.net