Home remedies for colic
The squirming baby drawing the legs to its tummy and bawling out the roof-top with a gaseous release, can be quite an agony for the mother. Relax,these symptoms can be soothed with a few home remedies for colic. The tips center around the mother’s reassurance and placidity, which can calm even the devil of a colic gripping the baby!
Home remedies for colic – Home to natural healing
The exact cause of colic is yet to be known. The gripping pain in the abdomen is alluded either to the movement of gas or some obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract. However, colic doesn’t raise much cause for concern. The home remedies for the condition will explore ways to subdue the symptoms or create a diversion, which can wean the baby away from pain.
Effective home remedies for colic
• Keep the baby under warm running water (taking care to keep the head safely above the water). The sound of water can have a calming affect (similar to a hot shower). The water effect can also relax the abdomen and the pain within.
• Try to divert the baby with something in motion. A moving play car with its whirring noise can take the attention away from the pain.
• Another relaxing home remedy for colic is to take the baby in the arms and make it burp or belch. The release of gas can give some relief to the baby. Try to put the baby to sleep after that. “Sleeping over” the discomfort can dissolve the pain away.
• Stop giving cow’s milk to the baby, casien in cow’s milk contains trigger colic. Similarly mother’s consuming dairy products and infant formulas containing this protein can produce similar effects. Try soy-based formulas instead.
• Chamomile tea has a chain of constituents with antispasmodic properties. It is a natural sedative as well. Tea made with chamomile flowers can do wonders for colic.
• Basil leaves also act as one of the good home remedies for colic. Place a handful of basil leaves in a cup of boiling water and cover it. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Strain the juice and give it to the infant.
• Over and above, a baby crying due to colic seeks a reassured mother. So do not forget to keep your cool.
Points of caution
Colic is usually associated with long spells of crying. However, if the condition does not subside with any of the home remedies mentioned above and the baby seems to be unsually cranky, it is advisable to consult the doctor.
Colicky babies may cry their lungs out but this is just a temporary phase which can be eased out with the home remedies for colic; reaching out to the baby from an unperturbed mother.
Photo courtesy: bundleyourjoy.com