Home Remedies For Constipation
The changing lifestyle and eating habits have made constipation one of the most common ailments these days. Since the OTC drugs and laxatives usually cause more harm than good, almost everyone is looking for home remedies for constipation. We bring you the home remedies for this condition, which is known to affect about 15 percent people in the world.
Causes of Constipation
Diet plays a major role in someone suffering from constipation. People who eat too much of protein in their daily diet, consume too less of water or fibres, are at a higher risk of developing this condition. In addition, medications such as painkillers, antidepressants, antacids, diuretics, etc also have constipation as one of their side effects. Lack of exercise, sedentary jobs, and medical condition that cause immobility can lead to constipation too.
List of home remedies for constipation
1) Fibre-rich foods
Eat foods rich in fibres, which is the best home remedy for constipation. Some prime examples of fibre-rich food are:
Fiber Rich Food Fiber content
Split peas, cooked, 1 cup
Red kidney beans, boiled, 1 cup
Raspberries, raw, 1 cup
Whole-wheat spaghetti, 1 cup
Oat bran muffin, medium
Broccoli, boiled, 1 cup
Oatmeal, quick, regular or instant, cooked, 1 cup
Green beans, cooked, 1 cup
Brown rice, cooked, 1 cup
Apple, medium with skin
Popcorn, air-popped, 2 cups
Whole-wheat bread, one slice
2) Fruit Juices
Consuming fruit juices is a good choice when suffering from constipation, especially for those who do not enjoy eating green leafy vegetables. In addition to fruit juices, you can also drink vegetables juices, or juices like those of tomato, carrot or prune, which will help you to relieve yourself in wake of constipation.
3) Regular physical exercise
Indulge yourself in regular physical exercise when you suffer from constipation. The exercise will help loosen your abdomen muscles and as a result ensure bowel mobility.
Some quick natural remedies for constipation
- Apple pectin, when taken during constipation, helps the fibre supply of the body.
- Sufficient intake of folic acid is also helpful in preventing constipation.
- Consume aloe vera juice at least twice a day to keep your digestive tract clean and working.
- Ginger tea is a good home remedy for constipation.
- For instant relief, you can mix half a glass of lime juice with equal amount of water and add some salt for flavor and consume it.
- Orange juice mixed in equal proportion with olive oil is also one of the home remedies for constipation.
If you want to stay away from constipation in life, nothing compares to eating lots of fruits, green vegetables, peas, garlic, sweet potatoes, which are all high-fibre foods.