Fight Diseases Naturally With These Nutrients
Do you rely on herbal and vitamin supplements to keep you in good health? Most people do, as falling sick frequently makes one exhausted physically, emotionally, and financially. But your body can fight diseases on its own, if you supply the raw material it needs. Here are some vital nutrients that help boost your immunity naturally.
Essential Nutrients and Their Sources
1. Vitamin D – Studies have revealed that a deficiency of this vitamin often gives rise to infectious diseases. Therefore, it is necessary to keep this level adequate to prevent you from falling sick. Sources - Vitamin D is found in eggs, oysters, and fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel. You could also get it from cheese, butter, fortified milk and margarine. Apart from this, 15 minutes of sunshine for about three times a week will help your body produce this naturally. A supplement may be prescribed by your doctor if you don’t get adequate levels of this vitamin from your daily diet.
2. Zinc – This is an essential mineral that keeps your immune system strong. It helps fight infections and promote wound healing. Sources - You can get adequate amounts of zinc from poultry, meat, and fish. Dairy foods and cereals are good sources for vegetarians. Your doctor may prescribe supplements if your food does not provide you adequate zinc.
3. Vitamin C – Studies have revealed that this vitamin helps reduce the duration and severity of infections such as common cold. Vitamin C also gives you the power of antioxidants, which prevent diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and kidney disease. However, since your body does not store this vitamin, it is necessary to get little amounts from your regular food daily. Sources - Fruits such as orange, lemon, grapefruit and raspberry are rich in vitamin C. You can also eat broccoli, sweet pepper, and sprouts for this.
4. Vitamin A – Apart from giving you the antioxidant effects, this vitamin helps immune system to function well. The skin and mucous membranes (lining of airways, digestive tract etc.) are the pathways through which infections can enter your body. Vitamin A helps keep the cells of the skin and mucosa in good condition, so that they act as a barrier to these infections. Sources - You can get this essential vitamin from vegetables like carrots, broccoli, spinach, and pumpkin. Meat, poultry, fish, and dairy also contain rich amounts of vitamin A.
5. Other factors – While getting the above nutrients through balanced meals is necessary, you also need to control your stress levels, increase physical activity, and sleep well. These factors contribute significantly to keeping your immune system up and running.
Now that you know the secret to fight diseases naturally, go ahead and figure out ways to include the above foods in your diet. However, keep in mind that some of these foods may react with your present health conditions. So, it is important to consult with your physician before embarking on any significant diet change.
Other blogs you may like to read:
Image Credit – iadvocatehealth