Health Effects Of Drinking Rotten Alcohol

You are here

sumitaThomas's picture

 

Wine bottlesSpoilage of food by pathogenic microbes is not limited only to meats, cereals, fruits and vegetables. Even alcohol can get rotten and cause one to experience the ill effects of food poisoning. The shelf life of an alcoholic beverage will depend on the the strength of the alcohol in it and the addition of preservatives to prevent microbial growth. It has to remembered that alcohol itself is a disinfectant and the chances of spoilage are rare and depend on the way it has been stored and handled. The health benefits of alcohol can be enjoyed by following these food safety principles that can prevent rotting. 


 

 


Causes Of Spoilage

 

  • If the raw ingredients like cereals and fruits used in alcohol making are spoilt, it can result in the rotting of the end product.

  • If the water used is from a contaminated source, it can cause alcohol to rot and cause food poisoning in those who ingest it.

 


Health Problems Caused By Rotten Alcohol

 

  • E coli Contamination- This bacteria is known to cause symptoms of food poisoning like vomiting, nausea and diarrhea. This is especially common if the alcohol is homemade without following food safety principles.

 

  • Salmonella- Many bacteria are known to survive in beer if it is not boiled enough. Salmonella is a dangerous bacteria that can cause severe watery stools which increase the risk of dehydration. This is also a possibility if the beer has been handled by dirty hands after insufficient washing.

 

  • Mold - These microscopic organisms thrive in dirty beer taps that have not been sanitized and cleaned adequately. They can cause symptoms similar to an allergy such as wheezing, skin rashes, redness and mild itching.

     


Tips To Identify Rotten Alcohol

  • The expiry date on the alcohol bottle is the best indicator of spoilage.


  • If it has an overpowering fruity or egg like odor, it is surely spoilt.


  • Rotten alcohol has a watery, vinegar like taste and should be discarded promptly.


 

Although the spoilage of alcohol is a rare event, it is certainly a possibility. Keep these handy tips in mind so that you serve safe and drink safe.

 

Image Credit free-extras.com


 


 

 

 


Rate This

Your rating: None
4.73
Average: 4.7 (5 votes)

2 Comments

Anonymous's picture
News to me..rotten alcohol OMG
sumitaThomas's picture
Microbes can grow on any food surface and cause food poisoning.