Herbal Remedies For Sciatica
There are many herbal remedies that can be tried out for sciatica which is a painful symptom caused due to irritation of the sciatic nerves. Lower back, legs and buttocks are the areas where the pain is felt the most. Alternative treatments are most helpful to reduce inflammation, thus their use is on the rise. Some natural remedies for sciatica are listed below.
Herbs To Help Sciatica
- A massage with eucalyptus essential oil can reduce the inflammation that nerve injury has caused. It also lessens pain in the muscles and loosens them. Added to bath water, it provides relief to aching muscles.
- Black pepper has an active ingredient called piperine that can combat pain and inflammation. Use freshly ground peppers for maximum benefit. Oral intake and topical application can be done.
- Cayenne pepper has a natural anti inflammatory compound called capsacin that acts as a pain reliever. Creams with this extract are easily available. Using ground pepper in food is also beneficial.
- Peppermint essential oil improves circulation and reduces the discomfort that is caused by nerve damage. Dilute it in a carrier oil before massaging into the skin. For this purpose olive or coconut oil can be used.
- There is enough scientific data to suggest the use of turmeric for the treatment of sciatica as it reduces inflammation and oxidative damage. Capsules and tablets can be used or the powdered spice can be added to food.
Tips For Managing Sciatica Naturally
Specific exercises like Pilates for sciatica can be practiced.
Hot compresses are very helpful.
Small amounts of caffeine can reduce muscle stiffness.
- A low fat diet to assist in weight loss can be followed.
Sciatica can be treated safely by the above herbs. Contact your doctor if there is an increase in pain or stiffness.
Image Credit en.wikipedia.org