Health Effects Of Eating Rotten Avocado
Best known for its rich creamy taste the avocado is every fruit lover's delight. Unfortunately there are many factors that accelerate the pace at which avocado rots making it unfit for consumption. The health effect caused is characterized by vomiting and diarrhea which indicate a bout of food poisoning. Why not make the best effort to prevent its spoilage by controlling factors like bacteria and fungi? This blog throws light on food safety matters associated with avocados.
Causes Of Spoilage
- Over ripening by bacterial action results in a fruit that is not fit for consumption.
- If storage is not as per guidelines it can result in the growth of fungus all over the fruit and lead to spoilage.
Health Problems Caused By Rotten Avocado
- If the fruit has come into accidental contact with sewage water in the field or during rinsing it increases chances of contamination with the bacteria called salmonella. This can result in poisoning that can attack weak immune systems in infants, pregnant women and the elderly. Diarrhea with blood and mucus, fever, headaches and cramps in the abdomen are common.
- Contamination by listeria bacteria is a threat as it can be fatal for newborns and pregnant women. It increases the chances of still birth and miscarriage. In others muscle pain, diarrhea and fever are possibilities. Readymade dips and sauces containing avocado are high risk products.
- The soft avocado fruit provides a good media for mold growth. Mold can affect the respiratory system and weaken immunity. It can also irritate the lining of the nose and throat.
Tips To Identify Rotten Avocado
- Buy only those which are firm to touch.
- Avoid the purchase of avocados that are bruised and cut.
- The high fat content makes it important to store the cut fruit at low temperatures to avoid it from going rancid.
- A gentle rinse under running water before eating is mandatory to remove dirt and debris.
- Discard avocados that have gone brown on the inside.
It will now be easy to enjoy avocado once you have kept the above tips in mind. Your health depends on the quality of food that you consume. Take steps to keep food fresh and safe.