Herbal Remedies For Cholesterol
High levels of cholesterol are indicative of increased risk of heart disease. Using herbal remedies to bring down cholesterol levels are very common. One out of every 3 women and every 2 men develop heart disease during the course of their lives. Hence, lowering cholesterol levels are important for reducing risk of heart related ailments. Given below are some treatments that are natural in origin and has minimum side effects.
Few Natural Herbal Remedies for Cholesterol
Guggulipid is the resin obtained from the mukul myrrh tree. Clinical trials have proved that guggulipid lowers blood cholesterol levels. However, all herbal remedies should be taken under strict supervision of a medical practitioner only.
- Garlic decreases blood cholesterol levels. Studies have proved its effect; however, they should not be taken along with blood-thinning drugs like warfarin.
- Artichoke leaf extract is another herbal remedy that can be tried to prevent coronary disease.
- Red yeast rice has studies in support of its effect in lowering cholesterol.
- Policosanol is made from sugar cane and several trials have been carried out to prove its effect on lowering cholesterol.
Tips for Managing Cholesterol
- Consume lots of dietary fiber. Only plant foods contain dietary fiber, hence include fruits, vegetables, legumes in your regular diet.
- Whole grains and some vegetable oils contain phytosterols. These are excellent for reducing LDL cholesterol.
- Soybeans contain soy proteins which have been proven to help in reducing cholesterol. Use soymilk, soy yogurt, soy nuts, and other soybean products.
Herbal remedies for cholesterol may provide relief however, it is important to note that any kind of alternative medicine should be tried out only after consultation with a registered medical practitioner.