Why Dessert Is Important
While a dessert is often considered unhealthy, this dish can actually be beneficial if you choose the right ingredients. Learn why eating dessert is important and how it can help you to improve your health.
The Importance of Having a Dessert
The tradition of eating a dessert after having a meal is being followed by many cultures across the globe. This delectable dish served at the end of a dinner signifies completion of the meal and creates a sense of goodness within you. Apart from the cultural importance and the feel-good factor, a dessert can also offer you a variety of health benefits.
A healthy dessert:
- Aids in digestion.
- Adds extra vitamins and fiber to your diet.
- Boosts immunity.
- Reduces your blood pressure.
- Balances hormones in the body.
- Lowers the levels of LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol).
- Improves HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol).
- Acts as an anti-depressant.
Tips to Prepare Healthy Desserts
Simply including nutritious ingredients and eliminating high-fat content will make your desserts much more healthier to eat. While you can try some ideas given here, the following tips will help you prepare a nutritious and yummy dessert:
- Include a lot of fruits in your dessert. Fruits like apple, papaya, banana, fresh berries contain a lot of vitamins and fiber and aid in digestion.
- Use low-fat cream or low-fat cottage cheese instead of heavy cream. This will give you the required calcium without adding calories or compromising the taste.
- Chocolate acts as a stimulant and can boost your mood. Dark chocolate has more antioxidants and is known to lower blood pressure. You can also make a dish with unsweetened cocoa or chocolate protein powder.
- Use yoghurt to prepare your dessert. Yoghurt helps in absorption of calcium and vitamin B. It fortifies your immune system and also aids in digestion. Yoghurt can help lower LDL cholesterol.
- Feel free to include almonds and walnuts. These nuts contain omega-3 fatty acid, which increases HDL cholesterol levels (good cholesterol), boosts immunity, and protects you from heart diseases. These nuts also contain other vitamins, folate, and fiber.
- A dessert made of tofu is a good choice. Tofu contains calcium, niacin, folate, and other minerals, which are good for your health.
- Make smoothies with soy milk. This contains flavonoids protects blood vessels and reduces blood pressure.
I am sure you will relish a dessert today after learning how beneficial it is! Just remember to abide by the above points and you can have a yummy dessert with absolutely no guilt.
Image Credit: cleancuisineandmore