Why Dinner Is Important
People who want to lose weight usually skip dinner to cut calories, but they don't realize that this meal is essential too. Learn why dinner is important and how you can make this meal much more healthier.
The Importance of Dinner
Eating a healthy meal before retiring for the day is necessary, and the age old saying “dine like a pauper” is not quite right. Given the fact that you are not going to eat the next 8 to 10 hours, your body needs the essential nutrients to perform bodily functions and maintain an adequate metabolic rate. Eating a dinner gives you the required carbohydrates needed for this, along with other important vitamins and fiber. Dinner also keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels stable while you are resting.
Benefits of Eating Dinner
- A healthy dinner with carbohydrates, vitamins, and fiber aids in digestion. You can find some menu suggestions here, which are also good for your heart.
- Having a meal before you sleep can actually help you lose weight and maintain it.
- It helps you feel full for a longer duration.
- It helps you have a sound and restful sleep.
- It gives a feel-good factor, which reflects on your self esteem and behavior.
- Eating dinner with your family increases family time and bonding between family members.
Why Skipping Dinner is Not Right
- Skipping dinner will result in low levels of insulin and blood sugar in the body.
- Your body goes into a starvation mode and uses up all other energy reserves.
- You will end up waking in the middle of the night, hungry and craving for food.
- You body will not get the necessary nutrition it needs on a regular basis.
Tips for a Healthy Dinner
- Eat early - at least three hours before sleeping. Sleeping right after dinner can store the energy, which gets converted into fat.
- Have a light non-greasy meal.
- Include fruits, salad, and soup in your dinner menu.
- Eat in moderation. A heavy meal will make you feel bloated, and you may have problems with digestion.
- Do not drink caffeinated drinks or smoke cigarettes at dinner time. These act as stimulants and will keep you awake the rest of the night.
- Avoid alcohol at dinner. It will affect the quality of sleep.
- Eat desserts containing fruits and eliminate those that contain white sugar or high fat content.
Being aware of why dinner is important, you will do well to follow the above tips and be regular with it. Also, do let us know if you have benefited by having healthy dinners regularly.
Image Credit: accessrx