Natural Remedies For Oral Thrush During Pregnancy
Natural remedies act as powerful fungicide and immune booster that alleviates oral thrush during pregnancy. Random hormonal changes during pregnancy trigger the action of fungi in oral cavity which can be contained by judicious use of natural therapies. Medications are not deemed to be best solution in such conditions as it can give rise to neural tube defects in babies and can prove to be toxic for your liver. Oral thrush is quite commonly seen during the first few weeks of pregnancy when hormones are in their active phase.. Let us scroll down to read through the symptoms and reasons behind the condition and learn about the effective natural cures.
Leading Causes of Oral Thrush
Untreated condition in mothers can lead to blood poisoning, athlete’s foot, jock itch, digestive upsets and vaginitis. You should familiarize with reasons behind oral thrush condition as this helps in preventing it during pregnancy.
- Wearing dentures
- Frequent mouth wash
- Prolonged use of antibiotics
- Steroid medication before pregnancy
- Ups and downs of pregnancy hormones triggering the release of fungal toxins
- Imbalanced pH levels
Specific Symptoms Associated with Oral Thrush
- White creamy spots on the inside of mouth and throat
- Weak nails
- Diverse skin infections
- Vaginitis with yellowish discharge
- Mood swings
- Memory loss
- Abdominal cramps
- Digestive disorders
- Inflammation and itching
Effective Natural Cures
- Salt water helps to relieve from fungi by acting as growth inhibitor.
- It prevents any further proliferation of fungi in and around the oral cavity and neutralizes the effect of toxins being released from fungi.
- Salt water is also a great way to restore the balance of oral flora with major chunk of beneficial microbes in mouth environment.
- Keep your daily regime of oral hygiene alive with salt water flush.
- You should take half cup of salt dissolved in 1 cup of warm water.
- Unsweetened yoghurt is another best way to keep your mouth free from fungi causing oral thrush.
- Sweetened yoghurt favors the growth of microbes as fungi or yeast feed on sugar and multiply in population.
- The lactobacillus bacteria in yoghurt help in treating the infection.
- Fresh bowl of yoghurt will help the good microbes to overpower the growth of bad ones, thereby restoring the natural floral balance of oral cavity.
- Garlic is definitely revered for its high medicinal properties, here it acts as potent anti-fungal medication for oral thrush.
- It eliminates the toxins being released by active group of yeast.
- In combination with onions, garlic is empowered with powerful anti-bacterial action as well.
Grapefruit seed Extract:
- Grapefruit seeds are recognized for being the ideal natural remedy for any sort of yeast/fungi infections.
- They are both anti-parasitic and anti-viral in function along with being powerful anti-fungal in nature.
- One by tenth part of grapefruit seed solution must be dabbed on breast feeding mother’s nipple so that if she is infected with the condition, she may not be able to pass it to her child.
Other Miscellaneous Remedies:
- Lukewarm water with tea tree oil drops act as very good remedy for killing fungi causing oral thrush.
- Apple cider mouth wash is one of the best natural mouth wash that helps in getting rid of the condition.
- Licorice extracts mixed in warm water is also a good home based mouth wash.
- Rinsing your mouth with coconut oil is also well accepted.
With so many holistic approaches for dealing with oral thrush, you can easily stay away from its ill effects during pregnancy!
Image credit: ifood.tv