How To Use Probiotics For Ulcers Treatment
Ulcers can occur in the mouth, stomach, and duodenum. Although, the causes may different probiotics seem to do wonders for managing all kinds of ulcers. The following sections would help you understand the role of probiotics in ulcer treatment.
How Do Probiotics Help Treat Ulcers
Let us first understand what happens when probiotics are ingested.
- Improve the number of beneficial microorganisms in the intestine
- Probiotic microbes produce short chain fatty acids which create an acidic environment that is inhospitable to disease causing microbes
- Improve digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Reduce inflammation
- Boost immunity
Mouth Ulcers: These are caused due to increase antibiotic intake and vitamin deficiency. A healthy gut is closely related to better oral health. Probiotics counter the effect of antibiotics by not only improving absorption of nutrients but the good bacteria also produces certain B vitamins that help in prevention and management of mouth ulcers or sores.
Stomach Ulcers: IT has been established that occurrence of ulcers in the gastrointestinal system is caused due to Helicobacter pylori. As probiotics renders the stomach environment unsuitable for survival of pathogenic microbes, eventually results in destruction of H. pylori results in fewer ulcers and better healing of the existent ones. Long term probiotic supplementation in the animal module resulted in reversal of gastric tissue damage caused by ulcers. Stomach ulcers caused due to chemotherapy can be effectively managed by consumption of probiotic products containing L. acidophilus.
How To Incorporate Probiotics To Treat Ulcers
- Probiotics are best consumed in regular diet for optimal relief from ulcers. They must contain active cultures, and care on the microbial strain consumed and date of expiration.
- Start with small doses and gradually increase the dose.
- Diary products like acidophilus milk, kefir, cultured milk, cultured buttermilk, and yogurt are some of the dairy based sources. Individuals with milk allergies can consume dairy free products like soy, rice or coconut milk with live microbes, pickled vegetables (Raw kimchi, sauerkraut or pickled beets, carrots or other vegetables), hummus, rejuvenac, kombucha, tempeh, natto, formulated health bars, miso, cereals, and certain probiotic salad dressings.
- It is best to use these products in the unsweetened form.
Best Probiotics for Ulcers
Studies have identified multiple strains of Bifidobacteris and Lactobacillus effectively help in controlling ulcers, especially Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG.
You can choose from a variety of commercial probiotic products like Bifidophilous chews, Acidophilus milk, Nutrition now PB8 Acidophilus, Probiotic complex quantum, Probiotic yoghurt, Choice Super 8 High Potency Probiotic, Advanced Adult Probiotic, Yakult, Align, Activia yogurt, EcoVag, Yoplait YoPlus, Stonyfield yogurt, Pearl, Dong Quai, Coco Biotic, Goodbelly splash, Goodbelly probiotic fruit drink, Mutaflor, Actimel, etc.
Things to Remember While Using Probiotic Therapy
Probiotics are unusually can be consumed safely by all, but in people who have compromised immunity should avoid or use probiotics only under medical supervision.
Strict Dietary supervision is also essential when it comes to stomach ulcers, find out the foods to eat from our article.
Image credits: naturaldetoxes.com