Top 10 Foods Containing Calories
There can be two reasons why you want to know about the Foods Containing Calories - you want to reduce weight and hence avoid them or you want to gain weight and hence consume them more. However, you must realize that all foods contain calories; only the amount present in each food differs.
Every individual’s energy needs vary with the stage of life they are at, gender, lifestyle, presence of any special conditions, and lean body mass. Inadequate energy intake can lead to malnutrition, which in turn causes muscle atrophy, weakened immunity, and organ failure. Over consumption of Calorie – rich foods has a host of bad effects. Primarily, excess calorie consumption would lead to obesity, which predisposes and individual to hypertension, stroke, heart disease, type II diabetes, and cancer. Thus, optimal intake of calories is essential.
Food Sources of Calorie Rich Foods
When one thinks of ‘calorie rich’ the mind immediately races to fats and oils which have the highest ‘per gram calorie’ value. Fast foods like burgers, pizza, chips, french fries and desserts like ice creams, cakes, pastries, etc. are loaded with calories. Given below is a list of food and ingredients that are high in energy.
Top 10 Food Containing Calories
- Animal Fat (Lard, Tallow, Fish oil, Butter): These are packed with fat especially saturated fat. Lard, tallow and lard provide almost 902 calories per 100g. Butter, too is high in calories providing 876 /100g.
- Vegetable Oils: Vegetable oils are equally high in calories as animal fats, they contain 884 calories / 100g, i.e. 124 calories per tablespoon.
- Nuts and Seeds: Limited consumption of nuts and seeds is what is advised for everyone, even though nuts like pilinuts provide almost 719 calories/100g serving, closely followed by macadamia nuts (718), and pecans (715).
- Salad Dressings: The major ingredient of most of the salad dressings are fats and oils, they also contain sugars, thus making them high in calories. French dressing has the highest calorie content 631/100g, followed by Caesar, Ranch, and Blue Cheese.
- Peanut Butter: Everyone’s favorite – Peanut butter, used as a spread and even eaten alone, contains 588 calories/ 100g.
- Junk Food (Snack and Candies): Available in various sizes and shapes, these snacks and candies are a good source of empty calories. On an average junk food provides 560 calories/ 100g serving. Cady bars contain 260 calories and cheese puffs contain 1269 calories!
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate should be consumed in limited quantities, as they are high in calories (501 calories/100g), which works out to be 661 calories in a grated cup.
- Cheese: Cheese is a good source of proteins and fat, the calorie content is 466 per 100g serving.
- Fried Food: Fried foods are loved by all, and hard to resist, but these irresistible delicacies are packed with oil, thus high in calories. Fried chicken (463) contains the highest calories, followed by onion rings (407), and french fries (373) per 100 gram serving.
- Processed meat (Sausage and Pate): Meat is already high in animal fat naturally present in the internal organs, Foie Gras from goose liver, has 462 calories/100g. Sausages (455) are high in calories too.
If you are trying to stay away from the list of foods given out, try out one of our Choices of Snacks Under 100 Calories.
Image credits: ifood.tv