Sage Powder - Usage & Health Benefits
Sage, the name itself epitomizes ‘safe’ or ‘cure’ that indicates the medicinal, traditional, and historical importance and uses of the herb. Sage Powder is the ground form of the dried leaves of this herb, belonging to the mint family. Sage powder is a versatile spice which has many uses and benefits, let us explore a few of these in this article.
Uses of Sage powder
Sage powder has a characteristic, slightly bitter, resinous aroma which is used as a condiment to flavor a variety of food items. The pungent taste compliments the fattiness of meat, and is used often to flavor goose, duck, pork, chicken, sausage, turkey, veal, etc. It is also used to enhance the taste of various starches and vegetables like; potatoes, beans, peas, onion, nutmeg, etc. Sage is used to season soups, gravies, stews, stuffings, stock, and baked goods.
Sage powder contains rosmarinic acid, volatile oils, and flavonoids. It is a rich source of vitamins (vitamin C, vitamin A, beta carotene, folic acid, thiamin, pyridoxine, and riboflavin) and minerals (potassium, zinc, calcium, iron, manganese, copper, and magnesium). It has antibiotic, antiseptic, antifungal, antioxidant, antispasmodic, antihydrotic, astringent, estrogenic, cholagogue, choleretic, and hypoglycemic agent.
- It is used in creams to reduce marks on skin
- It is used to heal sores, skin abrasions, wounds, and incisions
- It is used to make mouthwash and gargle to tackle bad breath, mouth ulcers, and sore throats
- It is used to make toothpaste and tooth powder, to promote tooth and gum health
- It is used to give special baths to reduce excessive perspiration
- It is used as a hair coloring agent
- It is used in hair products to reduce dandruff
Health Benefits of Sage Powder
- Regulates menstrual cycle, cramps, and other gynecological problems
- Boosts brain growth, memory, and reduces stress
- Reduces excessive sweating, night sweats, sweating of hands and armpits, and excessive salivation
- Stimulates bile secretion – improves liver status and biliary diorders
- Reduces pain – especially rheumatic pain
- Strong anti-bacterial and antifungal agent
- Treats respiratory problems like cold, flu, laryngitis, congestion, cough, sore throat, and asthma
- Treats anemia
- Aids in digestion of fat rich foods
- Treats acidity and other minor abdominal troubles
Image credits : ifood.tv