Cardamom Powder – Usage & Health Benefits
Green pods of cardamom are found everywhere, where they are not, there is Cardamom Powder! It is an expensive spice, that belongs to the same family as ginger and turmeric. The spice owes it’s refreshing flavor and aroma to the essential oils present in it. This makes the proper storage of cardamom powder very vital, as the seeds start rapidly losing their essential oils when exposed to air or ground. Cardamom powder has widespread uses and benefits in the world. Read on to learn more...
Uses of Cardamom Powder
The culinary and medicinal uses of cardamom have been known since ancient times.
Cardamom powder is used domestically and commercially in different parts of the world, to flavor both sweet and savory food items. It has a unique aromatic fragrance and intense taste used to enhance the taste and smell of several food and beverages. It is often used to flavor desserts (like rice pudding, custard, cookies, cakes, fresh fruit salad, brulee, etc.) and baked foods (Bread, pastry, rolls, etc.). It is added during preparation of tea, coffee, flavored milk, and liquors. It can also be used to flavor other types of foods such as curries, gravies, soups, pâtés, stews, purées, and rice dishes. It is also added to chewing gums because of its strong taste and mouth refreshing properties.
Traditionally, it has been used for therapeutic purposes in Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, India and China for centuries. The essential oils and minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron) present in cardamom make it a powerful alternative medicine. Cardamom oil extracted from the powder acts as a local anesthetic, antispasmodic, carminative, diuretic, expectorant, stimulant, stomachic, tonic, antiseptic, and antioxidant. It can cure stomach and pulmonary problems. It is used to treat teeth and gum problems. It has been recently recognized as a neurotransmitter, that has a simulative effect on the nervous system of the body. It is also used as an aphrodisiac in many parts of the world. Read more to explore its health benefits.
Health Benefits of Cardamom Powder
Cardamom Powder has been found to be very beneficial in Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, as it helps in the management of a whole host of health conditions.
- Cures stomach ailments like gas, heartburn, belching, and bloating dyspepsia, indigestion, etc.
- Boosts hunger and appetite
- Ease body aches and pains and relieves muscle tension or nerve pull
- Prevents bad breath
- Helps in treatment of urinary tract infection, cystitis, nephritis, and scanty urination
- Cures oral and throat infections
- Reduces physical depression and acts as a mood enhancer
- Tackles sexual dysfunctions like impotency and premature ejaculation
- Detoxifying agent – flushes toxins away and keeps diseases at bay
- Reduces blood pressure and promotes blood circulation
- Reduces inflammation
- Used to treat lung congestion and pulmonary tuberculosis
Before you start using Cardomom Powder therapeutically, know more about it's side effects from our article Side Effects of Cardamom.
Image credits: ifood.tv