Cayenne Pepper Powder-Usage & Health Benefits
Cayenne Pepper Powder is an orange to red colored pepper used for flavoring and medicinal purposes. Cayenne powder is a good source of Vitamin A, and also contains appreciable quantities of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, and B complex. Let us get to know more about Cayenne Pepper Powder uses and benefits by reading on.
Uses of Cayenne Pepper Powder
Cayenne pepper powder is available in varying degrees of heat (pungency). The appropriate powder is used in cooking to impart a distinct flavor to the dish. It is commonly used in seafood preparations like oysters, sardines and smoked salmon. It is a key ingredient in hot sauces especially the ones that contain vinegar as a preservative. It is used in spreads to spice up sandwiches. Beverages containing cayenne pepper as a flavoring agent are also available.
Capsaicin containing food products have remarkable medicinal properties which prevent as well as treats health anomalies. It is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic analgesic. It stimulates appetite and improves the peristaltic motion of the intestines and aids in assimilation and elimination. Although spice is contraindicated in ulcers, paradoxically cayenne pepper powder heals stomach and intestinal ulcers. It is an all rolled in one herbal remedy for curing heart disease, cancer, tuberculosis, infertility, rheumatism, leukemia, and many more health conditions.
Health benefits of Cayenne Pepper Powder
The benefits of Cayenne powder are not restricted to merely ones mentioned above; the following section would give you a precise idea of how a simple chili powder can produce a complex positive health manifestations.
- Deactivates neurotransmitters relaying pain signals to reduce sensation of pain, especially in arthritis
- Improves digestion and relieves stomach ailments like ulcers, acidity, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, and upset stomach
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Cures minor respiratory problems like cough, cold, sore throat, congestion, and symptoms of asthma
- Prevents heart attack and stroke by; stimulation blood floe and circulation, lowering blood pressure, reducing platelet aggregation and blood clotting
- Active against fungal pathogens like phomopsis and collectotrichum
- Boosts immunity
- Relives muscle cramping
- Helps in wound healing with minimum scar tissue
- Being a counter irritant it brings blood to the surface and allows toxins to be washed away
- Helps in the prevention of cancer especially prostrate cancer
- Eases toothache and prevents pyorrhea in gums
Those of you who are familiar with this spice would be aware that it is available as a liquid and as cayenne pepper powder. If you are undecided about which one to use read our article on Is Liquid Cayenne Pepper Healthier Than Powder Cayenne Pepper.
Image credits: ifood.tv