Curry Leaf Powder-Usage & Health Benefits
Curry Leaf Powder is a beneficial and much valued seasoning in Sri Lanka, southern and west coast of India, having many culinary and medicinal uses. Did you know that this flavorful powder is an abundant source of Vitamin A, vitamin C, fibre, calcium, and iron? It also contains proteins, glycosides with amino acids. Glance at the various uses and benefits of curry leaf powder in the following sections.
Uses of Curry Leaf Powder
The use of curry leaf powder in food as well as medicine has been very ethno-specific, it is only recently that the people have become aware of its manifold properties, especially its medicinal value. Here are some common uses:
Traditionally used in Ayurveda for many years, curry leaf powder has been known a positive effect on human health. Apart from nutritional benefits, it is known to improve digestion and bowels. It is also a tonic, carminative, stomachic, stimulant, anti-diabetic, antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective (protects liver), hypocholestrolemic (reduces cholesterol), and antioxidant. It is also used to treat poisonous bites, insect bites, stings, and skin irritations.
- It is a natural flavoring agent to enhance the taste and smell of food, and used to make curries, gravies, stews, pickles, and other traditional recipes like rasam, sambhar, etc.
- Consumption of curry leaf powder reduces graying of hair and hair fall
- When used both internally and externally, curry leaf powder helps improve skin quality and complexion
- Volatile oil extracted from the powder is used as a fixative in soap perfume
Health Benefits of Curry Leaf Powder
- The therapeutic effect of curry leaf powder include cures for many medical needs and also simple solutions of day to day problems.
- Cures constipation, diarrhea, dysentery, and piles.
- Treats stomach infections, vomiting, and nausea due to indigestion, morning sickness
- Prevention of cataract
- Prevention and management of diabetes – controls blood glucose levels
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Effectively treats burns, rashes, and skin eruptions
- Fights against blood disorders and leucoderma
Are you battling premature graying of hair, read more about how to tackle the situation naturally in our article Curry Leaves – Natural Remedy for Graying Hair.
Image credits: ifood.tv