Tapioca Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Tapioca allergy was something quite unheard of until recently, when the medical professionals came across a patient with severe allergic symptoms which were traced back to the tapioca root also known as the cassava. It is a popular staple across parts of Africa and Asia and is known to cause certain complications on account of its cyanide content. However, allergic reactions are rare and the starch or flour from the root is often used as an alternative food for individuals suffering from wheat allergies.
Reasons for Tapioca Allergy
Your body is likely to react violently on encountering the tapioca proteins if you happen to be allergic to it. The secretion of histamine is associated with the inflammation of the bodily tissues as it tries to get rid of the harmful allergen. A specific anti body known as IgE binds to the protein and a host of symptoms plague your body as the allergen is eliminated. Cross reactivity with latex or rubber allergy is often seen in patients diagnosed with allergy to tapioca.
Tapioca Allergy Symptoms
- Skin rashes and intense itching along with general inflammation and redness of the skin.
- Tingling around the mouth and swelling of the facial tissues.
- Breathing difficulties that result in shortness of breath and wheezing.
- Common cold like symptoms with runny nose, watering eyes and nasal congestion. Persistent sneezing and coughs may also be associated with it.
- Severe allergic conditions are usually found in patients who are also allergic to latex. The symptoms may cause the patient to become unconscious and is considered to be life threatening.
Treating Tapioca Allergy Symptoms
- Avoiding tapioca in all forms whether flour, sauces or gravies is mandatory once you have been diagnosed with the condition.
- Treat the cold like symptoms and breathing difficulties with anti histamine shots in order to minimize them.
- Severe reactions require immediate medical intervention and you will be advised to carry an epi-pen for self-administration of epinephrine if you also happen to have latex allergy.
Tapioca allergy is not something that you are likely to guess yourself. It is essential to consult a doctor if you experience any discomfort on consuming the starchy root in order to take effective precautions in a timely manner.
Image Credit- ifood.tv