Macadamia Nut Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Macadamia nut allergy is similar to tree nut allergies and has been classified as such. The allergy is destined to lifelong companion for the suffere as the studies indicate that there is a very slender chance of outgrowing it. However, all is certainly not lost. You can overcome it sufficiently and live a normal life by learning about the preventive measures, causes, and precautions that need to be taken. Read on for more details.
Reasons for Macadamia Nut Allergy
The proteins present in all tree nuts tend to be the same and can cause your body to react violently as it identifies the proteins to be harmful allergens. The histamine is a chemical secreted when the allergen enters the body and the IgE created to counteract it binds it, giving rise to a host of symptoms which can vary from being merely discomforting to potentially life threatening ones. It is also necessary to get yourself tested for all kinds of tree nut allergy especially hazelnuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts and pistachios.
Macadamia Nut Allergy Symptoms
- Itchy skin with redness, hives, and inflammation.
- Inflammation of the facial area and tingling along with throat congestion.
- Difficulty in breathing that results in wheezing.
- Palpitations and rapid pulse rate along with dizziness and eventual unconsciousness caused by severe allergic reactions termed as anaphylactic shock.
Treating Macadamia Nut Allergy Symptoms
- Avoiding the tree nuts in all forms either raw or processed is considered mandatory to avoid recurrence of the allergy. Desserts, spreads, cookies and other condiments may contain the macadamia nut or any other tree nut. It is, therefore, advisable to read food labels carefully before you allow yourself to eat it.
- The milder symptoms can be relieved largely by using antihistamine formulations that are easily available over-the-counter.
- Severe cases of anaphylaxis require epinephrine administrations which can be done with the aid of an Epi-pen carried on your person.
Lear how to live with macadamia nut allergy and you will soon be able to live a productive life without being unnecessarily plagued with the thoughts of your condition.