Turmeric Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Turmeric allergy is a condition that is expected to raise many an eyebrow. The beneficial root that is used by practitioners of traditional medicines is also known to alleviate allergies. But can you really be allergic to the yellow colored root itself? Yes, you can, therein, lies the problem. But you do not have to fret about it. Learn all about it by reading on and you will definitely find a way out.
Reasons for Turmeric Allergy
The curcumin content of the turmeric is believed to be the culprit as far as allergies are concerned. Our body does not recognize it at times and flares up secreting histamine and producing antibodies called IgE which try to eliminate the allergen. The results cause a host of unpleasant symptoms and need to be relieved as soon as possible.
Turmeric Allergy Symptoms
- Skin rashes including hives and eczema
- Inflammation around the mouth and lips along with tingling and itching.
- Swelling of the air passage leading to respiratory distress.
- Severe reaction known as anaphylaxis that may cause unconsciousness and death although the instances are rare.
Treating Turmeric Allergy Symptoms
- Avoiding turmeric in cooking and processed foods particularly those of Asian origin. Curries, gravies and anything that looks suspiciously yellow in color may provoke the reaction if you are allergic to the spice.
- Antihistamines and corticosteroids help in relieving the skin rashes and itching along with respiratory distress appreciably.
- Epinephrine injections are the only way out when the patient goes into an anaphylactic shock.
It is not too difficult to refrain from consuming the spice due to its tell-tale yellow color. Just stick to wholesome, traditional American fare and you are bound to be free of turmeric allergy before too long.
Image Credit- ifood.tv