Lime Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Lime allergy is akin to citrus fruit allergies and the common properties of all the fruits belonging to the category can result in multiple allergies especially when you are accustomed to handling, inhaling and consuming these Vitamin rich fruits. There is no reason to feel disheartened though. All you have to do is to go through this blog and learn about its causes, symptoms and treatment procedures.
Reasons for Lime Allergy
The proteins present in the lime are responsible for the allergic symptoms which has absolutely nothing to do with its citric acid content. The soft tissues of our body experience irritations on being exposed to the proteins contained within lime and an antibody know as IgE is created specifically for combating it which leads to a number of symptoms that can vary from being mildly irritable to life threatening.
Lime Allergy Symptoms
- Runny nose, watering of eyes with associated redness and nasal congestion are symptoms common to almost all allergies including lime.
- Shortness of breath, sinusitis and wheezing can develop into asthma if ignored.
- Red, inflamed skin and eczema patches along with itchy hives occur on contact with lime peel or pulp.
- Phototoxis is a condition that causes irritation due to sunlight. Skin rashes develop on exposure to lime components as well as the UV rays from the sun.
- Severe reactions are known as anaphylaxis which can become life threatening without timely medical intervention.
Treating Lime Allergy
- Abstaining from all kinds of limes as well as other citrus fruits like lemon, orange and tangerine will help you to prevent further incidences of allergy.
- Anti histamine formulations are available without a prescription and help in controlling the mild symptoms which mimic a common cold.
- Topical skin lotions and creams are highly effective against skin rashes.
- Anaphylaxis requires injecting the patient with epinephrine shots which can also be self administered by an Epi-pen.
Learning to steer clear of all citrus fruits is undoubtedly difficult but it is the only way to prevent recurrence of lime allergy. However, you can look around for alternatives and have a fun filled time discovering exotic fruits that will not make you miss the sour lime.
Image Credit- ifood.tv