Raspberry Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Raspberry allergy is a condition usually observed in individuals who are allergic to salicylates. This plant component has many benefits but can also trigger mild to severe allergic reactions if you are sensitive to it. It is advisable to avoid all related food products as a precautionary measure. Read along to find out more about it.
Reasons for Raspberry Allergy
Coming in contact with the red colored berry and inhaling its aroma may also cause allergic reactions apart from consumption of the fruit. Certain allergens that are present within the raspberry may cause our body to react violently as it tries its best to remove the offending proteins from our body. Apart from the salicylates, the chitinase isolated from the berries can be responsible for the allergy. Other allergens identified by experts include Rub i 1 and Rub i 3.
Raspberry Allergy Symptoms
- Common cold like symptoms which include a runny nose, nasal congestions, and watery eyes with sneezing.
- Itching of the skin, skin hives and eczema patches appear all over the body.
- Shortness of breath and wheezing along with a feeling of tightness across the chest.
Treating Raspberry Allergy Symptoms
- Avoiding raspberry in all forms including condiments, pickles, and desserts is mandatory to prevent recurrence.
- Other related food products that contain strawberries, raisins and tangerines need to be avoided in order to prevent cross reactivity symptoms which are the same as the symptoms of raspberry allergy.
- Anti histamines can eliminate the common cold like symptoms while nasal sprays and medications can help to relieve the respiratory distress.
- Skin creams and lotions alleviate the skin rashes and itching successfully.
Severe reactions are extremely rare in raspberry allergy but you do need to take proper precautions if you have been diagnosed with the condition. Follow the aforementioned tips to prevent and/or treat any allergic reaction caused by raspberries
Image Credit- ifood.tv