Gelatin Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Gelatin allergy is considered highly significant because the colorless and odorless substance is widely used in both food and cosmetic products. Known as a derivative of collagen that is found in the bones, tendons and skin, gelatin is used for its binding capabilities with common immunization shots containing the substance as well. Let us now look at the repercussions that may occur if you are found to be allergic to it.
Reasons for Gelatin Allergy
Certain substances present within gelatin are considered to be harmful by our body which tries to eliminate them from the system. DTaP.2 as well as DTaP vaccines contain gelatin and specific allergens present in them cause the formation of IgE, an antibody capable of destroying them. Immunization shots for rubella, small pox, and diphtheria also contain gelatin making them dangerous for children with known gelatin allergies.
Gelatin Allergy Symptoms
- Skin rashes and hives
- Low blood pressure resulting in fatigue and dizziness.
- Runny nose and nasal congestion
- Severe anaphylaxis is extremely rare with gelatin but can occur in certain individuals. The condition leads to loss of consciousness and can be life threatening.
Treating Gelatin Allergy Symptoms
- Discontinuance of gelatin containing foods and cosmetics are recommended to prevent the allergy.
- Anti histamine, medicines bought over the counter can successfully eliminate the minor symptoms including runny nose and itching.
- Skin lotions can be used to control the skin lesions and inflammations.
- The low blood pressure corrects itself as soon as gelatin containing products are discontinued.
- Severe anaphylaxis requires medical treatment with adrenaline injections being administered.
It is important to read the food labels and go through the cosmetic ingredients if you have been diagnosed with gelatin allergy. This will help you to take timely precautions and you can always find out alternatives that will keep you safe and sound as opposed to gelatin.
Image Credit- chadzilla.typepad.com