Mint Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Mint allergy is increasing gradually according to the ‘American Allergy and asthma Foundation’ as are incidences of allergy in general. The fragrant leaves of mint can cause painful symptoms if you happen to be allergic to them. The reactions are not confined to consumption alone. On the contrary, you are likely to experience the same reaction on contact as well as by using cosmetic or cleansing products containing mint.
Reasons for Mint Allergy
Certain mint proteins as well as chemicals known as Salicylates and linalool may cause our body to identify them as harmful substances. The chemical called histamine is secreted in huge quantities by our body on encountering mint compounds and a special antibody known as IgE is created in order to combat the allergens. You may also be allergic to other foods belonging to the same Lamiaceae family which includes basil, oregano, lemon balm, catnip, and lavender if you are diagnosed with mint allergy.
Mint Allergy Symptoms
The allergy occurs suddenly and may be found both in children as well as adults. The patients often experience mild symptoms with severe life threatening conditions being very rare. The commonest symptoms associated with the allergy include:-
- Skin hives and Eczema
- Nasal Congestion and runny nose along with watering of eyes.
- Tingling around the mouth and lips and a sudden numbness of the area where the mint contacts the skin.
- Abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
- Headaches which can result in severe migraines.
- Clogging of the sinuses.
Treating Mint Allergy Symptoms
- Avoiding mint in all forms is mandatory to prevent recurrence.
- Anti histamine drugs can help to provide relief from the common cold like symptoms.
- Topical application of skin creams and lotions eliminate the rashes and reduce the itching.
- Severe reactions are not completely unknown although they are rare. It is best to carrying an Epi-pen that can help you to administer epinephrine into your body in case you experience adverse effects like dizziness and palpitation long with difficulty in swallowing.
There are numerous alternatives that you can safely use if you have been diagnosed with mint allergy. Adopt them in your diet and daily beauty and hygiene regimen in order to remain healthy.
Image Credit- ifood.tv