Beet Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Beet allergy is a condition that can occur if your body rejects the proteins contained in the beetroot. Incidents of allergic reactions to the beet are extremely rare in humans and is believed to be more common in domesticated animals. However, it is best to check out the facts for yourself and take proper precautions if required.
Reasons for Beet Allergy
The beet pulp gets converted to fatty acids by the action of certain beneficial bacteria. Our body may fail to identify the bacteria properly in some cases and consider it to be a harmful allergen. The body develops specific antibodies to deal with it which get manifested by a number of undesirable symptoms.
Beet Allergy Symptoms
- Common cold like symptoms which include a runny nose, sore throat and watering of the eyes.
- Breathing problems that may cause wheezing.
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Dark circles under the eyes and loss of hair.
Treating Beetroot Allergy
- The ideal way to avoid beetroot allergy altogether is to refrain from using beet pulp in your food.
- Antihistamine drugs that can be bought over the counter can also be utilized to get rid of the common cold like symptoms.
- Skin creams and lotions help in eliminating skin disorders.
It would be wise to read the food labels carefully especially if you intend to consume mixed vegetable or sweetened products. Beetroot pulp is also used to impart a reddish color so beware of canned soups and relishes if you have been diagnosed with beet allergy.
Image Credit- ifood.tv