Prawns Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Prawns allergy is considered to be one of the commonest food allergies in America. Consequently, every product that contains prawns are required to have the ingredient listed properly on the food label. It is necessary to educate ourselves about the dangers that can occur if we accidentally ingest prawns in spite of being allergic to it. Let’s see what it involves.
Reasons for Prawn Allergy
The protein called tropomyosin has been identified as an allergen in prawns and other sea foods belonging to the crustacean group. The protein causes our body to secrete histamine in large quantities and a specific antibody known as immunoglobulin E is created in order to eliminate the protein from the body.
Being allergic to prawns is associated with other shellfish allergies as well. The presence of identical proteins is the reason behind this with cross reactivity being present among different types of molluscs too.
Prawn Allergy Symptoms
The adverse reactions that occur on ingesting prawns include:-
- Itching and inflammation of the skin leading to formation of skin hives and eczema.
- Swelling of the mouth, lips and other portions of the body.
- Shortness of breath and wheezing.
- Runny nose and streaming eyes.
- Stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea
- Dizziness and fainting
- Rapid pulse rate
- Palpitation of the heart
- Reduction in blood pressure.
Diagnosis of Prawns Allergy
- Skin test- A small of the prawn protein is injected into the skin and the reactions observed by a doctor.
- Blood Test- The amount of IgE present within the bloodstream of the patient can confirm the condition.
Treating Prawns Allergy Symptoms
- Coticosteroids in the form of nasal sprays, skin lotions and eye drops can help in relieving specific allergy symptoms like runny nose, streaming eyes and skin rashes.
- Asthma medicines can help to control the respiratory distress symptoms.
- Anti histamine drugs also help in controlling the discomfort.
- Severe reactions which may cause swelling of throat and interfere with normal breathing may be treated by timely injections of epinephrine.
- The best way of preventing the allergic reactions is to refrain from consuming prawns and related products.
Prawns along with shellfish are delicious to eat but can turn deadly if you are allergic to them. Learn how to avoid them by opting for alternatives and conquer your prawns allergy once and for all.
Image Credit- ifood.tv