Shrimp Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Shrimp Allergy is basically a type of shellfish allergy caused by eating crustaceans which includes shrimps, prawns and lobsters. The do’s and don’ts of the shrimp allergies are quite clear and it would be wise to refrain from consuming meat or other fish products in a restaurant as all the products are usually fried in the same wok or oil.
Reasons of Shrimp Allergy
Specific proteins within the shrimp cause the immune system of our body to go into an overdrive resulting in a number of painful and worrisome symptoms to appear all over our body. It is basically a signal given by our body which fails to recognize the shrimp as a nutritious food.
Symptoms and Signs of Shrimp Allergy
- Skin hives, eczema and itching
- Breathing difficulties and wheezing
- Nausea and Diarrhea
- Inflammation of the facial area and oral cavity including the throat.
- Dizziness and light headed feeling is associated with severe allergic reactions to shrimps.
Treating the Signs of Shrimp Allergy
- The various symptoms of shrimp allergy can be treated with a host of OTC drugs both anti histamine as well as corticosteroidal in nature.
- Bronchodilators as well as Asthma medications relieve breathing problems to some extent.
- Immunotherapy often helps to contain the problem.
- The best possible way of avoiding it altogether is to give up consuming shrimps or any of the food products which contain it.
Shrimp Allergy is not uncommon and you will get to know a lot about it by reading or surfing the Internet. However, it is always best to take professional help especially when it is your health that is at risk.
Image Credit- ifood.tv