What Are The Benefits Of Peppermint Oil
The benefits of peppermint oil make it ubiquitous in every household. Peppermint oil has been around for ages and is quite popular as a home remedy. This aromatic herb finds a mention in grandma’s recipes and in her natural remedy list. Even if there are no scientific studies done to prove several of the benefits of peppermint oil; people will swear by it since it seems to work well.
Peppermint is Mentha piperata a hybrid between water mint and spearmint and can grow like weeds if given a chance. The plant releases pungent oil, with high menthol content in it. The menthol is what gives the strong flavor, refreshing aroma, and a very cooling sensation to the skin due to its stimulating properties.
Peppermint oil benefits ranges from the culinary, cosmetics to medicines. Peppermint is found in soaps, shampoos, cigarettes, toothpastes, tea, chewing gum, ice-creams, and herbal remedies.
Benefits of Peppermint Oil:
- Hair Care- Peppermint is good for scalp and hair care. It is suggested to dilute with two drops of oil and 4 oz of water. It balances the Ph levels, increases the circulation, stimulates hair follicles, and promotes hair growth. In addition, it relieves inflammation of the scalp by cooling the skin. For shampoo with mint one could also add jojoba oil, tea tree oil, vitamin E or glycerin. Wrapping the hair with a towel or cap will help in absorbing the oil, acting as an astringent and a hair-follicle stimulator. Supposed to remove head lice too.
- Respiratory problems- Peppermint oil is a good home remedy for people having respiratory ailments with headache, fever and nausea. They can be had as capsules or tablets. Drinking mint tea or juice is good too. If the symptoms do not get alleviated, please consult a doctor. Menthol clears the respiratory tract. It also acts as an expectorant providing temporary relief. Peppermint oil also helps with other cold symptoms like nasal congestion, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, cold, and cough. You will also find mint in the cold rubs.
- Indigestion- Mint is said to act as a carminative aiding removal of gas. It also helps with low appetite, motion sickness, upset stomach, and heartburns. I remember grandma suggesting chewing on mint leaves if the stomach was feeling weird. For heartburns, peppermint oil + caraway oil might be a good treatment.
- Dental care- Most toothpaste has a minty flavor and that is because there is peppermint in them. It acts as an antiseptic, removes bad breath, helps teeth and gums fight infections. Toothaches can be treated initially with this. If it doesn’t heal then consult a dentist.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Stress, Pain relief, improving immune system, and blood circulation, muscle relaxant are few other benefits of peppermint oil.
The benefits pf peppermint oil are not scientifically proven and might be hearsay or passed on through the generations as home remedies. But they work nonetheless and is worth giving it a try.
Image credit: faqs.org