Health Benefits Of Horseradish
A pungent condiment, a great accompaniment to roast beef and a traditional medicine, the health benefits of horseradish are many.
This perennial root is good for stimulating your digestive juices and is filled with phyto nutrients that are essential for good health.
Horseradish health benefits are not very popular but did you know that eating this vegetable on a regular basis could reduce the risk of cancer and tumors? Horseradish has a high amount of gluco-sinolates which is responsible for the cancer fighting benefits of horseradish and also lends it the spicy and mustard like taste.
The horseradish has been a healing food and is a popular ingredient in Native American, European and West Asian cuisines. Today horseradish is used a stimulant and is a popular condiment for beef and fish due the its spicy flavor.
Unknown to many lovers of this pungent root are the several health benefits of horseradish.
As a medicine, horseradish root has many curative properties and health benefits; It has antibiotic, antibacterial, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, anti-anemic, diuretic properties and it increases blood pressure, it heats up the body, enhances our immunity and stimulates the appetite.
Here are some horseradish health benefits;
- Cure for respiratory disorders – Horseradish is known for its ability to relieve cough, cold, bronchitis and asthma. This root has many positive effects on the respiratory system. It is an expectorant, help eliminating mucous and is also an antibacterial agent for your mouth, throat and lungs. The benefits of horseradish are powerful when included in your daily diet. Adding fresh horseradish to your meals can help you stay away from reparatory problems.
- Good for your teeth – Horseradish is also a good remedy for periodontitis, a bacterial infection around the teeth. The health benefits of horseradish are that it protects the gums and its antibacterial property help to ward off infection of the mouth.
- Helps the liver – Horseradish is eaten to treat urinary tract infections and to dissolve kidney stones. Horseradish health benefits include its ability to help the liver to eliminate waste from the body and increase production of bile.
- Anti inflammatory benefits of horseradish- Horseradish health benefits include relieving pain and inflammation. It is often used to apply to the skin to reduce muscle aches and as a remedy for insect bites.Increases Blood circulation in the body and improves immunity.
- Horseradish is said to have cardio-tonic effect and it is recommended to the people who suffer from high blood pressure.
- Also it is known that horseradish has aphrodisiacal properties.
Though there are several health benefits of horseradish, there are also some potential ill effects of horseradish because of its intense effect on the body. People with gastritis, hypo-thyroidism, peptic ulcers, young children and pregnant and breastfeeding women, should not eat horseradish.
Image courtesy - herbs-treatandtaste.com