Black Berries Health Benefits
They look like a cluster of black-beads beautifully made, with your hands twitching to make a pluck – and there is reason enough for your action as black berries health benefits will simply hold anyone in sway.
Black berries are power-packed with nutrients so let us explore the health benefits of black berries to see how best you can make out of this nutritive punch.
• Rich in vitamin C: Blackberries are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for the immune system to fight infections and aid in absorption of other nutrients. Apart from these, vitamin C also prevents muscular degeneration, speeds up wound-healing, and aids to fight certain types of cancer.
• A powerful antioxidant: Antioxidants play a key role in preventing the body cells and tissues from degenerating from deadly diseases. The fruit contains an antioxidant called ellagic acid, which prevents skin damage due to ultraviolet rays Ellagic acid also holds the potential to fight cancer as per the research carried out by American Cancer society. Additionally, anthocyanins, which are responsible for giving blackberries their dark color are present in ample quantities in the fruit. Anthocyanins as antioxidants play a key role in trapping the free radicals, which cause damage to the body cells.
• High-fiber: One of the significant blackberries health benefits is its high fiber content, which aids in the digestive process and also helps to maintain an active metabolism, through regular detoxification of the body wastes. The high fiber content of blackberries also helps in weight-loss.
• Rich in Vitamin K: The vitamin, which is responsible for the clotting of blood, is supplied by this wonder fruit. Vitamin K also helps in the absorption of calcium.
• Enriched with Phytoestrogens: Blackberries health benefits also feature with the presence of plant estrogens. Some studies have found these compounds to simulate the body’s estrogen though not fully confirmed. Phytoestrogens can alleviate the symptoms of PMS (Premenstrual syndrome) such as craving, bloating, hot flushes etc.
• Omega 3 fatty acids: The Fatty acid, which hoards mega health benefits ( from the bran to the heart) are also found in blackberries. One cup of the fruit has 135 mg of omega 3 fatty acids.
• Other nutrients: There are also other minerals found in blackberries making blackberries health benefits exponential. One cup of blackberries contains about Calcium: 4%, Iron: 5%, Magnesium: 7%, Phosphorus: 3%, Potassium: 7%, Zinc: 5%, Copper: 12%, Manganese: 47%, Selenium: 1%, Vitamin A: 6%, Vitamin E: 8% and Folate: 9%.
The health benefits of blackberries delve deep into the cluster and every fruit oozing with the nutritive punch; is just testimony to that!
Photo Courtesy: livestrong.com