Health Benefits Of Wheat Germ
Have you ever wondered why nutritionists harp about consuming whole-wheat products? Well, whole wheat goods are made from the entire wheat kernel which includes the highly-nutritious wheat germ! The latter contains essential oils that are good for you. However, due to the fact that these oils go rancid and can make the flour unusable, the wheat germ is sadly removed in the process! Here’s what you need to know about wheat germ and why it is good for you!
The Nutritive Value
The wheat germ is abundant in protein and fiber. Speaking of its nutritive value, just 2 tablespoons of the raw version contain: 4 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 1.5 g unsaturated fat, and 60 calories! Sadly, all these nutrients get ripped off during wheat flour manufacturing process.
Health Benefits of Wheat Germ
Wheat germ can benefit you in many ways. Here are some of the most impressive health benefits that this tiny portion of the wheat kernel can offer you!
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol - Phytosterols present in it help bring high blood pressure and high cholesterol under control.
- Ensures healthy heart - Packed with B vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids, it keeps your heart healthy. B vitamins also help with blood function and nerve function. Lowered cholesterol and blood pressure result in a healthy heart too.
- Rich source of dietary fiber - Wheat germ helps in proper bowel movements by supplying the body enough dietary fiber. This also helps maintain blood sugar balance in your body.
- Contains antioxidants - Vitamin E is found in abundance in it. Its antioxidant properties keep skin, heart, and nervous system in good function. Antioxidants also protect the body from the damage caused by free radicals.
- Helps with tissue repair - With its high protein and mineral content, wheat germ helps repair tissues in the body. Minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, zinc, and selenium help with this.
- Fights muscular disorders – Muscular disorders such as muscular dystrophy and neuron-muscular problems can be prevented when you include wheat germ in your diet.
- Prevents weight gain - Because of rich fiber content, it also promotes weight loss.
- Other benefits - Apart from giving relief from menstrual cramps, it also helps prevent birth defects, fights colon cancer, and promotes longevity.
Having known about these numerous health benefits that the tiny little wheat germ offers, don’t you feel compelled to include it in your diet? We know that you would!
Other blogs you may like to read:
Image Credit – dreamstime