Chia Seed Health Benefits
The Chia Seed Health Benefits make if a super food and in fact it is often considered a competitor of the already very popular flax seed. Chia Seeds is beneficial for treating fatigue, helps in weight loss, reduces risk of blood clots, and prevents heart disease, controls diabetes, bone and digestive problems.
The chia seed is slowly become more popular and more and more people are learning about chia seeds health benefits and making it an addition to their daily diet.
Chia Salvia Columbariae, is a part of the mint family and grows naturally and abundantly in south America. In fact it was a staple of the Aztecs and has been of great economic importance to the Native Americans and the South Americans.
Chia seeds may be black or white; the black seeds are more commonly grown and are cheaper than the white variety.
The nutritional values of both the varieties of chia seed are similar, but studies claim that the white chia seeds health benefits may be more than the black variety.
Chia Seeds Health Benefits come from its nutritional Benefits;
- Chia seeds have higher protein content than other grains. It is considered a complete protein as it has all the essential amino acids. About 18 to 22% of chia seed weight is protein.
- Chia seed is high in fiber, a 15 gm serving of chia seeds will provide 4 to 5 gm of fiber. Chia thus provides our body with fiber that helps us to stay healthy.
- Studies have proved that Chia seed is one of the many seed to possess the highest percentage of the polyunsaturated fatty acids such as linolenic and linoleic. Chia seeds contain 60% omega 3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds contain boron, essential for bone health.
- Chia seed is also rich in calcium; about 2 oz of chia seeds contains more calcium, than what is available in a cup of milk.
- Chia seeds have more potassium than banana.
- Chia seeds have more antioxidants than blueberries.
Chia Seeds Health Benefits
Here are benefits of chia seeds and reasons why you should include this super food in your daily diet;
- Chia seed provides ample calcium and proteins Which help in regeneration of tissues, growth and health of bones. Infact chia seeds are also rich in boron, which helps the body assimilate calcium in our body. The nutrients also support proper brain functioning.
- Chia is easily digestible and can be swallowed whole unlike flax which has to be ground to a powder to be digested easily.
- Chia has a hydrating effect. The seed can soak up ten times its weight in water. Thus the seeds help you to stay hydrated for longer, and retain electrolytes in your bodily fluids.
- It enhances energy, stamina and endurance and is often eaten by sports persons, hikers and cyclists.
- Regenerating. If you want to build or regenerate healthy body tissue, eat chia seeds.
- Chia seeds health benefits also include weight loss. They provide a satiety value and reduce hunger pangs and tendency to snack. Chia seeds help in digestions and clear your intestines, improve bowel movements.
Chia seed health benefits should be exploited as these versatile seeds can be used to replace any less healthy seed in your recipes. It is a very mild tasting seed and you can easily use it in all your recipes as it doesn’t alter the taste of your food but will definitely add to your nutrition provide your body with so many benefits.
Image Courtesy - chiaseedshealthbenefits.com