What To Do In Case Of Food Poisoning
Knowing what to do in case of food poisoning, can prevent one from getting hospitalized and control the health disorder at home with ease. Food poisoning may not be fatal but it could be very painful so knowing about the things to do in food processing will prevent you from suffering for a long time with food poisoning.
Symptoms of food poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and headache and sometimes fever. Dehydration is the major concerning factor when it comes to food poisoning, so the first aid should include hydrating methods and preventing dehydration.
- With the onset of vomiting and nausea, stop eating all solid food.
- Have small amounts of clear liquid frequently as drinking large amounts in one go will lead to vomiting. Prefer medicated electrolyte drinks over commercial ones.
- Milk and coffee or caffeine drinks should be avoided at all cost.
- Have little food when vomiting or diarrhea subsides, the food should be free of fat and oil. Carbohydrates are best in such conditions although you can eat banana and toast.
- When vomiting is continuous, suck small ice cubes or chips.
- Do not go out in the sun, you will only dehydrate and the condition will worsen.
- Avoid all fatty foods and those which are difficult to digest. Should continue this for 3-4 days.
- Start eating normally only after 4-5 days but remember to avoid eating too much. You should be giving time to the digestive system to get back to normal after food poisoning.
- Take care to refrigerate meat, seafood, poultry, eggs and milk. They are the main causes of food poisoning.
- Always use pasteurized milk as drinking raw milk is the cause of food poisoning in many cases.
As the age old saying goes” prevention is better than cure”, I would like to give few tips on how to avoid food poisoning. If you have been a regular victim of food poisoning then these tips would be of great help.
- Wash hands with soap before eating or after coming home from office or shopping or any other out door trip. Needless to add, after coming out of the toilet and touching pets.
- Maintain clean environment at home especially if you have pets. Keep them away from food and kitchen.
- Check the defrosted food before it is cooked.
- Cook meat and poultry properly as raw meat causes food poisoning.
- Keep leftover food in refrigerator.
- Store raw meat and fish covered and on the lower cabinets of refrigerator.
- Wash fruits and vegetables properly before eating.
- Always check expiry date of packaged food.
Image Courtesy: health-writings.com