The Curse Of Pesticides On Fruits
Sometimes man gets into a vicious circle, by trying to combat an enemy and breeding another opponent to be combated. Science and technology made so many advances paving way for progress, that the negative elements were ignored in the spurt of growth. Pests and plant-killers were efficiently managed with chemicals till science yet again revealed the curse of pesticides on fruits.
Lets take a short –peek at the high- residue of pesticides content in some of the widely consumed fruits.
Most of the pesticides or insecticides contain
• Organophosphate: A constituent of many insecticides, organophosphates mode of operation involves the destruction of the brain and the nervous system of the insects they are targeting. Organophosphates also affect the human brain and are found to be the cause of many nervous disorders.
• Methyl parathion/methyl bromide: Methyl parathion is used on peaches, pears and nectarines, and is found to be an hormone-production disruptor.
• Iprodion: A constituent in many of the pesticides and applied to peaches and raspberries, Iprodione is a cancer-causing compound.
• Carbamates: Grapes produced in the US or the imported variety contain a high residue of carbamates, which interfere with the working of the human body’s endocrine system.
• Fungicide captan: The blush of pink in strawberries is indeed deceptive as the fungicide captan works in the background to bring out that blush. But behind the scenes, captan is a carcinogen. Captan is also applied to raspberries.
• DDT/DDE: A byproduct of DDT, DDE is also found to be carcinogenic and is associated with a lot of other health hazards.
The above mentioned about pesticides’ health impact, exposes the curse of pesticides on fruits.
More so, the techniques used in the application of these chemicals can also be injurious to health if not done with caution and care, very much testimony to the curse of pesticides on fruits. A few of the techniques
• Spraying: If the spraying is done when there is breeze, there is all probability that fumigants can spread to the neighboring areas which house people. It can also cause irritation to the eyes and the skin.
• Drifts : The mist of cloud that hangs in suspension over green, gay fields can sink in affecting the neighborhood as well. The drifts are also believed to cause genetic defects and sterility in women.
There have been many controversies in the past about the use of pesticides on fruits. One outstanding lawsuit is the incidence of birth-defects and sterility affecting banana-plantation workers in the Philippines , who used DBCP ( a liquid fumigant applied to the ground). The USDA researched on the fumigant and proved its health hazards but the victims of the curse of pesticides on fruits in that region, still suffer the aftermath.
Another such instance, which comes to the fore, is the usage of Glyphosate in the fields of Bogota, Columbia. Supposedly used for killing weeds this herbicide’s ill-effects was projected by the locales. They testified the killing of animal life in the neighboring area, exposed to the spray(for exterminating illegal cocoa crops), thereby declaring the crops unfit for consumption.
The balance tips, when discussing about the cure and curse of pesticides on fruits, as nature bears the brunt of overload and encroachment on her premise, the bearing doesn’t fructify in fullness but in a hollow shell of impurities!