What Is Your Definition Of " Healthy Eating " ?
Things that drive me crazy :
1) A local donut shop, out of a blue has a huge flyer that reads " No Cholestrol, No Trans Fat, Healthy Donuts". Ok now are they thinking " Who will know about the saturated fat and sugar ? ... the foolish customers " ?
2) Any recipe that calls for a pound of butter or loads of cheese and claims it is " good for you " just beacuse of the trivial amount of veggies in the dish.
3) Any recipe that calls for instant noodles like the Top Ramen variety (if you are not aware, these contain very high amount of saturated fat as they are fried over and over again in the same oil!) and again gladly claims that it is heart healthy, just because you can spot that tiny broccolli floating.
4) When AHA ( American Heart Association) has given the permission to use their label on diet that just meets these standards - Low in Saturated fat and cholestrol plus high in fiber.
How can this label be applied if a cereal is high in fiber and low in cholestrol & saturated fat but contains High Fructose Corn Syrup and 17 grams of sugar per serving be, for God's sake heart healthy ?? Hello... diabetes... ringing a bell ? anybody ? Even a normal healthy person having such high amount of sugar every single day has increased probablity of diabetes . Excuse me if Iam terribly wrong. Iam not a nutritionist but I think Iam sane.
5) Resturant that uses vegetable shortening and plain enriched flour and calls " Healthy Whole Wheat Breads " !
6) Smother a bottle of Olive Oil in the pan and say it is good for your heart and skin. Skin may be but NO... it does have calories and any fat used in high amounts is certainly may not be the best.
Give me a break !
I keep telling myself that I need to calm down and just ignore such things that ticks me off. I say to myself - people are free to say what they want and free to choose what they eat. But when you know the most valuable thing on earth is human life and when humans themselves act so irresponsibly , I lose my sanity. I am not sure if it is my obessesion or passion for health. Call me crazy but please let us refrain from sending wrong signals !
When you don't know DON'T CALL IT HEALTHY. Of course Iam not saying that home cooks should start using some gadget to get the nutrition measured but if you are in doubt be a little conservative in what you claim.
And always remember the golden words that your mom taught you when you were young - Eat your veggies, Exercise, Go less on junk food. You will be fine. You need not depend on the media or the hoopla created around nutrition labels.
Eat Healthy ...Live Happy !