Diet Plan For Obese Teenagers
Successful weight loss management for obese teenagers requires an active lifestyle and meticulously planned diet. Substituting the unhealthy and fat accumulating diet with the one that is healthier and more fulfilling can play a significant role in weight loss for teenagers and can act as a preventive measure for a number of lifestyle diseases. The skyrocketing statistics of American teenagers suggest that obesity as a silent killer can soon turn into epidemic. Let us first have a look at the current rising trend of obesity among teenagers and the major reasons behind it and then follow it up with designing the right diet plan for them.
Current Rising Trend of Teenage Obesity
- 33 percent of American children and teens are obese.
- 30.4 percent of teens are under the scanner of being overweight that could easily turn into obesity.
- 45.9 percent of teenagers are at high risk of developing life threatening health ailments before the age of 45.
Leading Causes of Teenage Obesity
Few of the major causes behind soaring rise in teenage obesity are here to go:
- Sedentary lifestyle that has lack of exercise or activity
- High consumption of junk and fast foods
- Mindless overeating
- Too much dependence on sugar laced energy drinks or carbonated beverages
- Inclination towards indoor games
- High internet related activities
- Emotional disturbance
- Hormonal and neurological anomalies
- Genetic predisposition
Typical Diet Plan for Obese Teens
2200 calories for girls and 2800 calories for boys is sufficient for daily consumption. The point is to include and enrich your diet with large volumes of fruits, greens and whole wheat grains. The typical diet must also be tagged with regular dairy consumption in the form of milk, low fat cheese and low calorie butter. Roll down to discover the diet plan chart designed especially for teens.
Thrust Areas of Diet Plan
- Your diet plan should focus on fibers, vitamins, lean proteins, complex carbohydrates and whole wheat products.
- Inclusion of fibers helps in reducing the unwanted cravings for junk and fried foods and also helps in lowering the buildup of cholesterol in your blood.
- Beauty of carbohydrate rich diet is that you get your blood sugar level normalized if complex ones are introduces instead of simple carbohydrates.
- Healthy fat diet will increase your metabolism and the unhealthy fat gets swapped by it.
- Lean proteins feed your muscles and melt your extra pounds.
Healthy Breakfast should include
- Low cream soups
- Egg whites
- Curd and spinach sandwich with a glass of orange or any seasonal fruit juice
- Include more of raisins and nuts like figs, almonds, walnuts and cashews to beat the craving.
- Oatmeal or cornflakes based pudding
Healthy Lunch calls for
- Whole wheat flat bread with green vegetable curry
- Curd or flavored curd with herbs and spices
- Lots of salads with cucumber, beets and carrots Roasted beef, turkey or chicken breast
Healthy Dinner must include
- Low fat dressing
- Brown rice
- Fruit custard
Apart from the accepted guideline of eating for three separate meals, teens are advised to go for mid time snacks that should be a liberal dose of nuts, fruits, low fat dairy products and green tea. They should keep away from deep fried and high energy foods to avoid any piling up of fat on their waistline.
Following a right diet plan will always prove beneficial and will make the teens realize the importance of eating healthy!
Image credit: blog.americanfeast.com