Depression Foods To Eat
Did you know you could actually fight depression effectively without any the drugs and chemicals, by following the right diet and lifestyle regimen? The best way to get out of depression is to eat right. Therefore, the question here is what type of food you should eat. Below you will find list of various depression foods to eat.
Foods That Help Fight Depression
Salmon and mackerel:
Salmon and mackerel are the perfect choice as they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. According to the research, depressed people often lack the fatty acids known as EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid). Therefore, on consuming salmon and mackerel depressed people can gradually decrease the symptoms of depression such as anxiety, sleep disorders, sadness, and suicidal thoughts. You can also get the rich amount of omega 3 fatty acids by consuming walnuts and flaxseed.
Whole grain oats:
Whole grain oats contain folic acid, vitamins B6, B1, and pantothenic acid. Oats helps in lowering the cholesterol and avoid the blood sugar crash and burn which can lead to mood swings and crabbiness.
Being a low-glycolic food, brown rice prevents sugar lows and mood swings. Brown rice is also a good source of fiber which keeps the digestive system healthy and lowers the cholesterol levels.
Brewer’s yeast is loaded with wide assortment of vitamins and minerals including 16 amino acids and 14 minerals. These amino acids are essential for the nervous system, which makes brewer’s yeast a no-brainer for treating depression.
Other Recommended foods for depressed people:
- Eat carbohydrate rich foods which can provide you a happy mood with increased level of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which is responsible for transmitting nerve impulses in the brain and inducing sleep and tranquillity.
- Calcium and selenium rich foods also help to get rid of depression. Calcium can induce sleep whereas selenium boosts the energy and creates an uplifting mood to a person. The best sources of calcium include milk, dairy products, and broccoli. Wheat and sea foods are the excellent source of selenium.
Tips: foods to avoid fighting depression
- Avoid eating fried foods. The fried foods contain saturated fats which make the membranes rigid and as such as neurotransmitters do not work as well.
- It has been researched that eating a diet rich in processed food increases the risk of depression. Instead of processed foods, you can eat vegetables and fruits.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and caffeine. Alcohol depletes the brain’s mood elevator, serotonin. Whereas caffeine blocks the soothing effect of the brain’s “feel-good” messenger called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) which can calm mood and the digestive tract.
Thus, you can relieve the symptoms of depression with the help of these depression foods. Start eating these foods and lead a happy life.