Fruits For Diarrhea
There are not many fruits for diarrhea treatment as they are at times one of the causative factors behind this gastrointestinal disorder. However, certain fruits like banana in BRAT diet, and some fruits juices, if given in adequate quantity can bring relief in this digestive disorder.
Why Fruits Are Not Good For Diarrhea
Though, fruits are considered as one of the healthiest diet inclusions, excessive intake can at times irritate the gut and cause diarrheal symptoms. Furthermore, most of the fruits are rich in insoluble fibers which are good for constipation but have adverse effects in the treatment of diarrhea. Moreover, fructose - the primary form of sugar in several fruits, is one of the triggering factors of diarrhea. When the intake of fructose is more than normal capacity of the digestive system, the unabsorbed fructose reaches colon where it is degraded by bacteria and produces gas. It thus, triggers flatulence and diarrhea.
Fruits To Avoid During Diarrhea
One should avoid following fruits during diarrhea.
- Honeydew melon
- Fruits rich in Vitamin C
- All dried fruits
Treating Diarrhea With Fruits
In spite of the fact that certain fruits trigger or aggravate diarrheal symptoms, it is not that one can't consume fruits during such conditions at all. In fact, several communities have a traditional list of fruits for diarrhea that help manage the condition. Here is a look at some of such fruits and how they help in healing the gut...
- Banana: Potassium rich fruits like this one help restore the electrolyte imbalance that occurs during diarrhea. Also, bananas are rich in soluble fibers which help hold the stools together.
- Apple juice: Freshly prepared juice of apple is rice in pectin, a soluble dietary fiber that helps congeal the stools and prevent watery stools from occuring. Apple juice (well strained) without any additive sugar if regularly given to the patient also helps revive the fluid balace in the body.
- Amla: Juice of Indian Gooseberry (Amla) along with lemon and sugar controls the symptoms of diarrhea.
- Pomegranate juice is very effective getting the symptoms get under control.
- Coconut juice should be given to the patients of diarrhea as it helps the body to regain lost electrolyte.
Banana In BRAT Diet
BRAT diet is especially good for kids suffering from diarrhea. Bananas along with rice, applesauce and toast are given in this diet where banana acts as binders thereby helping in diarrhea.
From the above mentioned information on fruits for diarrhea, you must have got fair idea that fruits should be cautiously taken during diarrhea but not avoided either.
Image Credit: ifood.tv