Acid Reflux Foods To Avoid
If you experience refluxing in the middle of night then you need to understand that certain foods are not good for you. You should judge by yourselves as which acid reflux foods to avoid because the ones which may harm you may not harm others. Sadly there is no prefixed list to tell the heartburn patients to stay away from certain gastroesophaegal reflux foods or food groups. But there are some common foods that may trigger the reflux in majority of the eaters.
The common foods to avoid for gastroesophaegal reflux include:
- Coffee: It is known to act on the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) by reducing its pressure and aggravate the reflux. This is the reason why coffee is placed in the list of acid reflux foods to avoid. Some say that coffee roasting method lowers the tendency of coffee to produce gastroesophaegal reflux or acid reflux. But that’s not true the acid reflux prone individuals experience the dyspepsia, heartburn, etc with roasted coffee too. It has been found that both caffeinated and decaffeinated drinks can aggravate the acid reflux.
- Fried and Fatty Foods: They are normally found on the list of foods to avoid for most of the disease types and same goes here too. These foods slow down the digestion process and puts immense pressure on the stomach thereby aggravating the reflux.
- Peppermint: Peppermint in the list of acid reflux foods to avoid? There are many out there who feel that peppermint can be soothing to the tummy. But that’s not true. The peppermint can trigger the reflux by pulling the sphincter muscle that lies between the esophagus and stomach. This in turn encourages the vital stomach fluids to flow back to the esophagus which exacerbate the situation.
- Alcohol and alcohol based drinks: Health practioners strongly despise it due to variety of reasons. These reasons account for placing it in the list of gastroesophaegal reflux foods to avoid. The alcohol encourages production of harmful stomach acids. The alcohol act by refluxing the LES there by encouraging the acid reflux in stomach. The alcohol is mostly derived from grains like barley, rice etc, which may induce some form of allergies in some people. If the alcohol is taken with any greasy foods than the situation may further worsen. Even after knowing all these damn things about alcohol (are the regular fixture in various lists telling about acid reflux foods to avoid) if you want to give it try then mix it with soda drinks or water.
- Citrus Fruits: Many reflux sufferers experience uneasiness especially after eating citrus fruits. The refluxing issues are only experienced with certain bunch of fruits and their effect may vary from person to person some of the common culprits include grapefruits, lemon and oranges. They encourage the lower esophageal sphincter to relax and thereby encourage the stomach acids to flow back to the esophagus, causing agonizing heartburns.
As said before the choice of foods may vary from person to person, so you can analyze as which acid reflux foods to avoid and which to eat.
Image Courtesy : ifood.tv