Edible Gifts For People With High Cholesterol
Choosing edible gifts for people with high cholesterol can be quite a cumbersome task, one which requires careful thinking and proper knowledge of the patient’s condition.
Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the bloodstream and body cells amongst the lipids or fats. It is important for body as it helps in forming cell membranes, tissues etc.
But as the adage goes ‘excess of everything is bad’, high cholesterol can do more harm than good. And as the only solution of keeping Hypercholesterolemia or high cholesterol in check is through controlling food habits, so while choosing gifts for high cholesterol patients one has to keep in mind a lot of things.
Avoid food items which are high in fat content or contain saturated fats like butter, cream, beef fat, beef, lamb, pork, lard etc. And fried, too salty or too sugary food stuff is also not an ideal choice for high cholesterol patients.
Now that leaves us with a narrow choice for selecting gifts!!
These days food stuff for high cholesterol or heart patients is easily available across all good supermarkets, but to make the recipient feel special, you can also try and make certain things at home as well.
Some of the edible gift options for high cholesterol patients can be:
- Nuts!! Yes the good old nuts, especially almonds are good for high cholesterol patients.
- Oatmeal is another good option. Cookies, bread or even muffins made from oatmeal can be gifted to people with high cholesterol.
- Fruits—gift them a basket full of fresh fruits or even best cook something using fruits like orange, kiwi, grapes etc, and gift it.
- Anything made from soy can also be a good gifting option for people it high cholesterol.
- You can also gift people with high cholesterol packets of green tea, beautifully gift wrapped.
- Though drinks are not advisable for high cholesterol patients, a small amount of bubbly is acceptable once in a while, so go ahead and gift them some red wine. Why red wine? Because it is known to be good for health.
- Dark chocolates are also another good option to be gifted to people with high cholesterol.
- Fruit juices can be another gift item for people with high cholesterol.
- If the recipient is a close friend or relative with high cholesterol, you can cook up something from fish and take it along.
In all of the above make at home options, replace butter with low fat margarine or refined vegetable oil. In place full cream milk use skimmed milk, use honey in place of sugar, you can replace white flour with coconut flour, which is rich in fiber and less fattening.
And while purchasing from market, go through the contents and check the percentage of fat/cholesterol in food items.
Just paying a little attention while choosing gifts for high cholesterol patients can be a good way to show that you care for their health and bring a smile to their faces.