Top 5 Healthy Meal Plans For Diabetics
Gone are the days when the Diabetics had to cut short all their desires, now with so many healthy meal plans, they don’t need to curb any wishes. Some of the best Diabetics’ healthy meal plans are the center of sweetness for this write-up. So read on for the innovative and healthy meal plans.
A person suffering from Diabetes has a problem with the body metabolism which simply refuses to, or is unable to make and use insulin. The healthy meal plans depend upon myriad factors such as, the age, activeness, current health condition and medications of the patient. For example, a young or an adult diabetic patient requires more calories than older diabetic patient who is less active. Healthy Meal plans for diabetes requires that all the dietary points should be kept in consideration.
Ideally, a diabetic meal must have a few important criteria to be considered healthy and safe:-
- Since, the body will have trouble in metabolism processes, make sure the diet is well balanced and provides all the necessary nutrients.
- The body must be allowed to be familiarized with the eating cycle of the person which helps it to metabolize the foods better. So, the timing of the diet is more important than quantity of the diet.
- The diet should not be too different from the normal diet the person used to have before being diagnosed with diabetes. (This is an important point, especially in considering the drastic lifestyle changes that some meal plans try to bring about in diabetic patients. That would probably have only adverse effects and nobody likes to change so suddenly!)
- Another fact about Diabetics’ healthy meal plans is that the diet should not be monotonous. It should be different and exciting each day.
- A healthy plan is the one that can be repeated when and where required. So, the food products should be readily available.
- Keep adequate time gaps between the meals.
Keeping all this in mind 5 choice foods of my Diabetics’ healthy meal plans are as follows:
- Oats (in form of cookies, with milk or rolls with cottage cheese)
- Egg as Omelet or Cottage cheese(in basic omelet or boiled form)
- Only whole wheat bread (grilled or toasted according to preference) with margarine.
- Skimmed milk
- Banana or Papaya.
- Special beverages
- 1 cup vegetable soup with crackers or toasted bread.
- Small apple or a light fruit salad.
- 1 sandwich made using 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 ounce low-fat cheese, 1 ounce Turkey or chicken or tofu and 1 teaspoon mayonnaise.
- Brown rice puffs
- Skimmed Yoghurts
- Tortilla chips with salsa
- Small helpings of any naturally sweetened puddings
- Fruit salads
- Sausage patties or other picnic foods.
- 4 ounces broiled chicken breast with basil and oregano sprinkled on top
- ½ cup cooked carrots
- Tossed salad with 2 tablespoons low-fat salad dressing
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small whole grain dinner roll with 1 teaspoon margarine or butter
- 4 unsweetened canned apricot halves/1 small slice of angel food cake
The basic idea behind the meal planning for Diabetics is that you must try and include a high vitamin, high carbs but low on proteins. 15 -20% of your protein intake is sufficient. One must include Broccolli, green veggies and grains when it comes to planning. Only 20-25% of your diet should be heavy with fat content.
C’mon, Soak your sweet memories with a nice fruit juice!
Image Credits: Ifood.tv