What Are The Benefits Of Not Eating Meat
There are certain social groups that oppose meat eating due to various reasons such as cruelty to animals, environmental factors, and health problems. There are many pros and cons associated with meat eating, and this article will explain The Benefits Of Not Eating Meat.
- The human digestive system is simply inept for meat. The time taken to digest meat by our body is in the range of 5-6 hours. And not all of it is digested; the remains cling to the stomach and intestine walls and takes longer time to expel. The salivary glands of humans are capable of pre-digesting fruits and grains and not meat. Regular meat consumption causes real trouble in the colon and at times lead to a more serious concern of colon cancer as well.
- Regular meat consumption means increased consumption of complex carbohydrates and saturated fats. More the meat consumption the more is the amount of cholesterol and calories in the body. Harmful effects of eating meat include health risks such as high blood pressure, heart diseases, macular degeneration, arthritis and more arise due to excessive meat intake.
- Red Meat is said to be the most dangerous variety of meat. This meat contains enormous amounts of saturated fats that is highly damaging to the cardiovascular health. It clogs the arteries, increases blood pressure and causes damage to the heart. Benefits of not eating meat include higher longevity and less chances of developing deadly diseases.
- Since meat is very high in protein content, regular meat consumption leads to high levels of protein in the body and causes calcium deficiency in the bones. This could lead to weak bones and increases the risk of osteoporosis.
- Kidney takes a toll when meat is consumed in excess and lead to kidney stones and gallstones. Animal meat if low in fiber, high in fat and calories and hence it is unhealthy.
Benefits of not eating meat (hence taking a vegan diet) include low consumption of fats, adequate intake of fiber, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients. Swap those sausages for fresh green vegan salads and meat for sautéed tofu and celery and lead a healthy life.
Image Credit: yummydiego.com