Power Salads - Boost Your Immunity And Health
"SP" is no longer for solar power but salad power. Yes, salads are a great way to build your health to the perfect well-being and power salads with optimum nutrient value can accomplish much more. Read on about power Salads to boost your immunity and health .
What better way to crunch upon health than with the succulent, juicy and zesty salads with a topping dressing, and make it an integral part of your daily diet?
Salads are usually a make of raw fruits or vegetables or both mixed together in a dressing of seasoned oil. Now, when it comes to power salads, health quotient become exponential because you pick and choose the choicest variety of fruit and vegetable, both nutrient-value and flavor-wise.
What are the health benefits of power salads?
The make of power salads is essential to extract the maximum health benefit. So, let us look into the nutrient value of different salad vegetables and fruits and see how they fortify the body’s immunity and help fight diseases.
• Dark Greens : Just as the lush, dark green of nature symbolizing freshness and life , the dark green vegetables are also rooted in health and goodness.
1. Broccoli : Enriched with vitamins A, C, K, folate and fiber, broccoli florets are not only visually appealing but also make a great power salad.
2. Mustard greens: Vitamins A, C, K, folates and calcium- the nutrient value of mustard greens with their spicy and peppery flavor are a power salad essential to boost your immunity and health.
3. Romaine Lettuce: A storehouse of nutrients such as Vitamin A, C, K and folate, Romaine lettuce adds luster and health power to salads.
4. Swiss chard : Vitamins A, C, K, potassium and iron make up this nutrient powerhouse and also substantiates power salads with its health benefits.
5. Dandelion greens: Tangy and bitter flavor, and enriched with vitamin A and calcium, this dark green fortifies immunity.
6. Spinach : Fortified with Vitamin A, K, folates and iron, Spinach adds flavor and health to a power salad.
The health benefits of vitamin A, C and K and folic acid is well known from improving vision(Vitamin A)to helping in absorption and bolstering the body’s defenses(Vitamin C) and aiding in blood-clotting(vitamin K) and helping tissue growth(folic acid).Apart from these, most of the darker salad greens contain the antioxidant beta carotene, which scavenges free radicals in the human body and prevents and fights against deadly diseases such as cancer.
• The other salad makes such as tomatoes and cherries are enriched with lycopene and potassium, which aid in fighting cancer and also heart ailments.
• Other cancer-fighting power-salad agents, which come into the picture are carrots, yellow peppers and pineapple; which have carotenoids to accomplish the mission of good health by keeping cancer at bay.
• In addition, the gold-mine of nutrients (about 19 of them) present in pecans reduces cholesterol levels and, thereby, the risk of developing heart diseases.
• Not to leave out blueberries and raisins, which are loaded with phyto-nutrients with cancer-fighting property and other attributes to boost your immunity and health by fighting some infections. The ‘brain’ of power salads, this fruity-pair, is also found to improve brain –health and vision.
An important tip:
You could also add nuts and herbs(angelica, arugula, cress, lemon balm, coriander, mint and mizuna mustard greens.) to your power salads not only for a fulsome crunch of the nut-power, but also for the health of herbs.
Salad dressings are as important as the salad-make if you want to boost power salads with immunity and health. It is imperative to choose the right oil for your salad dressing. Extra virgin oil is an excellent choice for base oil. You could also use mustard oil, rice bran oil and others in the category which will aid in absorption of the nutrients and also not pile on to the body fat.
Sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds can also me made a part of the dressing – for your power salad to simply spell health to the highest power.
So power salads are all about making the right choice of vegetables and fruits and ‘dressing them up’ the healthy way so that the next time you mull over for a healthy diet-plan, you could give your system the boost of immunity and health through power salads!.
Photo courtesy: veggie-wedgie.com