Top 5 Desserts For Diabetics
The first thing that a diabetic has to sacrifice after being diagnosed with this condition is sugar and that means no desserts for the rest of life. Well, we are going to change that with the Top 5 desserts for diabetics that you can prepare at home.
We know how difficult it is for you to overlook all those chocolate mousse pies, parfaits, luscious cakes topped with cherries, or the hot chocolate. However, all that is going to be a thing of the past with these new recipes that you can try at home and indulge you sweet tooth despite being a diabetic. These recipes make use of sugar substitutes, natural sweeteners or very little sugar, so that you can enjoy them without feeling guilty.
1. Fruit Treats for a Diabetic: Fruit is one of the most natural and healthy choices to make in case of any medical condition, more so in case of diabetes. It is naturally sweet and can be a healthy treat for not only the diabetic in your family but for the entire household. There are a lot of options that you can try with fruits. Two are given below:
a. Melon Salad: Cubed cantaloupe, cubed honeydew melon, mint leaves, honey tossed together, make for a delicious and safe dessert option for a diabetic.
b. Fruit Salad: If you want more than just melons, go for sliced strawberries, blueberries, green grapes, whisked together with fat-free yogurt, honey and lemon juice. Edible bliss!!
2. Cheesecake with a salty twist: The most difficult thing about being a diabetic is leaving desserts behind. However, what can be more difficult than that is leaving the most loved dessert of America, cheesecake, altogether, right? Well, weâve got a solution for that as well. By tweaking the ingredients a bit, you can enjoy your very own cheesecake, despite the diabetes. All you need is tortilla chips, margarine, cream cheese, eggs, cheddar cheese, chili peppers, green onions and salsa. Mix cream cheese and eggs until creamy, then add cheddar cheese, green chilies, onions and garlic. Pour this mixture over the crushed tortilla chips and margarine, which have already been baked. Bake this in a 9-inch pan together and you have a safe dessert for diabetics, ready.
3. Chocolate Balls For Diabetics!!!!!!! Yes, the diabetics can too have their regular fix of chocolate with this delicious, healthy recipe. You need unsalted butter, chopped nuts, cookies, white baking flour and powdered sugar (sifted). Blend the nuts and butter, beat in the cookie mix, flour and water to create dough. Scoop the dough into small balls and lay these on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven. This recipe is as easy as it is tasty and what is more, it is healthy too.
4. Lemon Curd is the dessert for diabetics: Lemon curd is another tasty dessert option for diabetics and whats more, it tastes wonderful too. You would need eggs, sugar (very little), salt, fresh lemon juice and salted butter. Eggs should be beaten till fluffy, then sugar, salt and lemon juice is added gradually. After adding butter, microwave this mixture. Whip up the lemon curd intermittently till the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Chill and serve.
5. Oatmeal Wafers But not for Breakfast: Yes, you can use oatmeal to make dessert for diabetics and watch this breakfast item turn into a treat. This recipe requires sifted flour, brown sugar, oats, cardamom, cream of tartar baking soda, margarine and sweet chocolate chips. All ingredients, except for margarine and chocolate chips, go into a food processor while the oats are pulverized. Now add margarine and process till you get a crumbly mixture. Spread it evenly into a baking pan and bake till golden. Spray with chocolate chips for garnishing and cut into bite-size pieces before serving.
We know that five recipes are not enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, now that you know that being diabetic does not mean giving up on desserts. Therefore, besides the top 5 desserts for diabetics we bring you some more:
Visit these links and enjoy more desserts despite being a diabetic.
(Photo Courtesy: bp1.blogger.com, www.pakladies.com, )