Is It Safe To Eat Radish During Pregnancy?
Radish, the healthy cruciferous vegetable is bundled with numerous health and medicinal benefits. But is it safe to be eaten during pregnancy? Raw radish is beleived to have certain harmful effects on the health of pregnant women and hence care should be taken while cooking them. Read on to know more about the role of radish and decide whether it is safe to be consumed by pregnant women.
Health Benefits Of Radish In Pregnancy:
- Radish is an excellent source of vitamin C and so it plays a major role as an antioxidant that would protect tissues from damage and help body absorb iron. It also helps the body to build healthy immune system when pregnant.
- Folic acid in radish helps in fighting against occurrence of neural tube defects in the new-borns.
- Zinc in radish plays a major role in building proper nervous system and proper functioning of the brain.
- Calcium and phosphorous in radish helps in proper bone and teeth formation in the new-borns.
- The B complex vitamins in this amazing vegetable play a major role in optimal growth and development of the fetus.
- Being low in calories and fat radish are capable of avoiding obesity in pregnant women.
Radish juice facilitates digestion and detoxifies the body which is highly beneficial in pregnancy.
Side Effects Of Consuming Radish When Pregnant:
- The diuretic property of radish may increase your need to use restroom often which may cause uneasiness when pregnant.
- Consuming large quantities of radish will may irritate the digestive tract and cause abdominal discomforts.
- Eating raw radish may increase your susceptibility to infection during pregnancy.
Enjoy the awesome recipes made using radish but never go beyond the limits.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo