Is It Safe To Eat Pumpkin During Pregnancy?
The yellow-orange colored yummy vegetables, pumpkin have amazing nutritional as well as culinary benefits. But are they safe to be consumed when pregnant? There are no reported evidences of side effects caused by pumpkins. Does that mean that they are completely free from adverse effects? This blog would help you to find the answers and decide about the safety levels of pumpkin consumption when pregnant. Read on to know more.
Health benefits Of Pumpkin In Pregnancy:
- Being excellent sources of beta carotenes, pumpkins are capable of satisfying all your needs for vitamin A when pregnant.
- It has amazing antioxidant properties which aids in warding off infections in pregnancy by boosting immunity levels in expectant moms.
- Pumpkins regulate cholesterol level and so they are capable of maintaining proper lipid levels in pregnancy.
- It is a good source of fiber, possesses laxative property and is capable of preventing constipation and hemorrhoids, the two major troubles faced by mom-to-be.
- Its rich content in magnesium and potassium makes it highly essential in maintain proper blood pressure levels.
- The anti-depression property of pumpkin is believed to reduce stress in pregnant women.
- Zinc content of pumpkins helps in adequate growth and development of the brain of your babies.
Side Effects Of Consuming Pumpkins When Pregnant:
- Over eating pumpkins may cause abdominal discomfort due to its high fiber content.
- Allergic reactions have been reported in some cases due to consumption of pumpkin with symptoms like abdominal cramps, vomiting, wheezing, shortness of breath etc., but the effect is yet to be proved in pregnant women.
Hence eat pumpkin in reasonable quantities and get benefited, but never overeat them in order to avoid unnecessary complications during pregnancy.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo