Is It Safe To Eat Pasta During Pregnancy?
The staple foods of traditional Italian cuisine, pastas are preferred by people of all ages, worldwide for its yummy, lip-smacking taste and versatility. But are pastas safe to be consumed when pregnant? Are the allergic reactions and digestive problems caused by pastas riskier for expectant moms? Scroll down to find answers and decide whether pastas are safe to be consumed when pregnant.
Health Benefits Of Pasta Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Being a good source of complex carbohydrates, pastas provide a slow release of energy which helps in sustaining energy levels in pregnancy.
- The low glycemic index of pastas helps in regulating the blood sugar levels and thereby helps in preventing gestational diabetes.
- The low sodium content of pastas does not have much role to play with your blood pressure levels and so you can stay safe from hypertension during pregnancy.
- Wheat based pastas are a good source of fiber and so aids in preventing constipation and hemorrhoids in pregnant women.
- The iron content of pastas helps in fighting against anemia in mom-to-be.
- Being a good source of B vitamins pastas help in overall development of the fetus.
- Certain pastas are enriched with folic acid which is highly beneficial in preventing neural tube defects in pregnant women.
- Pasta is a good source of vitamin A, which helps in maintaining the integrity of your mucous membranes and thus reduces your risk of infection in pregnancy.
Side Effects Of Pasta Consumption When Pregnant:
- If you are allergic towards wheat products, then pasta might cause allergic reactions, which is unsafe when you are pregnant.
- Over eating pastas may cause gastric or digestive problems. Symptoms include feeling nauseated, painful stomach cramps, vomiting etc. which are all undesirable in pregnancy.
So enjoy the yummy pastas during pregnancy, with the consent of your healthcare provider and also never overdo the limits of consumption. Have a safe pregnancy!
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo