Is It Safe To Eat Cucumber During Pregnancy?
Being the fourth most widely cultivated vegetable in the world, cucumber is used worldwide. But are cucumbers safe to be eaten when pregnant? The allergic reactions caused by cucumber are generally considered undesirable during pregnancy and so these vegetables still remain controversial. Trail down to know more about the role of cucumber in pregnancy and decide whether they are safe to be consumed by pregnant women.
Health Benefits Of Cucumber Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Being a low calorie vegetable, cucumbers do not contribute to your weight gain and so helps in preventing obesity during pregnancy.
- The good water content of cucumber aids in preventing dehydration in pregnancy.
- Cucumber peel is an excellent source of dietary fiber that helps alleviate constipation and hemorrhoids which are most common problem faced by pregnant women.
- It is an excellent source of potassium, an important intracellular electrolyte and thereby helps in maintaining proper blood pressure levels when pregnant.
- It contains numerous anti-oxidant components in good ratios such as beta carotene, vitamin-C, vitamin-A, zea-xanthin and lutein which boosts immunity in pregnant women and fights against infections.
- Vitamin-K has a potential role in providing bone strength to pregnant women.
- It has vitamins like B1, B2, B3, folic Acid and C and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc which aid in overall optimal development of the fetus in your womb.
Side Effects Of Cucumber Consumption When Pregnant:
- Over eating cucumbers can result in an uncomfortable buildup of intestinal gas in sensitive individuals which may cause troubles like indigestion, bloating, belching etc in pregnant women.
- There are evidences of allergic reactions caused by cucumber with symptoms like oral itching, swelling etc which is undesirable during pregnancy.
- The diuretic effect of cucumbers may play a major role in increasing your frequency of urination when pregnant and make you feel uncomfortable.
Enjoy the exciting taste and benefits of cucumber, but get the consent from your healthcare provider before adding them to your diet in order to be on safe when pregnant.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo