Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
Tofu, the soy-bean curd is a very popular food ingredient in Southeast Asian countries and is widely known for its amazing protein content. But is it safe to eat tofu during pregnancy? Are the abdominal cramps and other risks like allergic reactions caused by tofu in some people, hazardous for expectant moms too? Find the answers by just scrolling this blog and decide whether tofu is safe to be consumed when pregnant.
Health Benefits Of Tofu Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Calcium in tofu is highly beneficial for the pregnant woman and developing fetus since it helps in building strong bones and teeth.
- Well-known as “poor man’s protein”, tofu is capable of contributing a major portion of protein required during pregnancy and thereby aids in tissue development of the fetus.
- Iron in tofu helps prevent low birth weight and premature delivery.
- Zinc content of this soybean curd, helps in cell reproduction, promotes tissue growth, and regulates enzymes and hormones like insulin in expecting moms.
- Tofu helps to lower bad cholesterol levels and maintains a healthy lipid profile in pregnancy.
- The antioxidant properties of vitamin E in tofu aids in boosting immunity levels in moms-to-be.
- Recent studies show that regular eating of tofu provides a reasonable amount of energy, protein, total fat, carbohydrates, alcohol and fiber and contributes a lot to positive health.
- Isoflavones in tofu can directly scavenge free radicals which help in preventing infections and related problems during pregnancy.
- According to recent researches, isoflavones can increase bone mineral density in female spineswhich is highly beneficial in pregnancy.
Side Effects Of Tofu Consumption When Pregnant:
- Trypsin inhibitors in soy products and especially tofu, interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders which is highly risky during pregnancy.
- It may contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys of expecting moms.
- If you have soy allergy then you may be allergic to tofu too. Allergic reactions may include difficulty breathing or appearance of rashes.
- Evidences exist for the occurrence of digestive discomfort, including nausea,vomiting, constipation or diarrhea in some women.
- It has been proved that tofus are capable of causing menstrual cramps and digestion problems which is undesirable when pregnant.
So moms-to-be! Enjoy the benefits of tofu in limited quantities after having a word with your healthcare provider in order to avoid unnecessary complications when you are pregnant.
Image Credit: sugarpuffish.blogspot.in