Is It Safe To Eat Beet During Pregnancy?
The ruby-red colored and naturally sweet root vegetables, beets are healthy foods capable of achieving an important position in every pregnant woman’s diet. But are these beets completely safe to be consumed when pregnant? Beeturia and an increase in oxalate levels in blood are some of the side effects contributed by the root vegetable and should be considered carefully before consuming them in pregnancy. Scroll down to know the role of beet in pregnancy and its safety concerns.
Health Benefits Of Beet Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Folates in beets are required to protect the new-born baby from defects of the spinal cord.
- The antioxidant properties of beets are highly essential in boosting immunity levels in pregnant women.
- Calcium content of beets aids in preventing decalcification of bones and teeth during pregnancy.
- Being a good source of potassium, beet helps in electrolyte balancing and regulates metabolism during pregnancy. It also helps in maintaining blood pressure levels in expecting moms.
- Betaine in beetroot is helpful as an anti-inflammatory agent and so prevents swelling and joint pains in expecting moms.
- Beetroot has high sugar content, but has a very low glycemic load which means the sugar conversion is very time-consuming, and therefore helps in stabilizing blood sugar levels in pregnant women.
- Beets are a good source of vitamins like A and E and so aids in optimal development of the fetus.
Risks Associated With Beet Consumption When Pregnant:
- Betaine in beets has mild side effects like nausea, diarrhea and gastrointestinal disturbances.
- Beet juice may cause temporary paralysis of the vocal cords.
- The nitrates in beet juice may cause vomiting and general weakness during pregnancy.
- Over consumption of beets may cause allergy-like effect, known as beeturia which can be characterized by red coloration of urine and stools.
- High levels of oxalate levels in beetroot juice which may cause kidney stones.
Beetroot consumption may be highly beneficial during pregnancy. Enjoy the yummy recipes with beets with the consent of your healthcare provider to avoid complications in pregnancy.
Image credit: ifood.tv/photo